Nikon rumors D5200

Now THAT ought to actually be a decent APS-C camera!!! Quite a proposition, I think.

Derrel said:
Now THAT ought to actually be a decent APS-C camera!!! Quite a proposition, I think.

It looks like it will take the d7000 slot... Pending AF system and build .... Then a d400? Who knows.

This was covered this entire month on Thom Hogan's site; October has been "DX Month", with coverage of all things DX-related to Nikon. He has a short piece done just yesterday on this (what Nikon's DX body lineup will be); his projections include a four-camera DX lineup, with an updated D7000 and a D400. I also think he's right...the D5000 is the up-sell from the entry-level model...Nikon sells MOSTLY DX d-slr's...they NEED a D5XXX model...and they need a D7XXX model too. The D400 is in my opinion the most-critical camera to bring out, because the D300s is VERY old now, and it the farthest-behind model.

Meh, d5200 will probably be a great cam for most. Won't help my birding at all, no bim, slow, low level AF. My d300 will have to keep chugging along for awhile.. High ISP performance doesn't help much if you can't focus on your target. Maybe I'm just being cynical as these hurricane winds are picking up and the next 24 hours are not going to be good...

Derrel said:
This was covered this entire month on Thom Hogan's site; October has been "DX Month", with coverage of all things DX-related to Nikon. He has a short piece done just yesterday on this (what Nikon's DX body lineup will be); his projections include a four-camera DX lineup, with an updated D7000 and a D400. I also think he's right...the D5000 is the up-sell from the entry-level model...Nikon sells MOSTLY DX d-slr's...they NEED a D5XXX model...and they need a D7XXX model too. The D400 is in my opinion the most-critical camera to bring out, because the D300s is VERY old now, and it the farthest-behind model.

It would be nice if they had a cam with the d7000's IQ and d300s build, AF system, and buffer.

That's what I'm talking about Mach0. D4 or better AF, no noise at 3200, 8fps and a 40 shot+ raw buffer.. Just stick that in a d300/s body and I'm a happy camper.

That's what I'm talking about Mach0. D4 or better AF, no noise at 3200, 8fps and a 40 shot+ raw buffer.. Just stick that in a d300/s body and I'm a happy camper.

$1700 price point happy? What would you pay for that camera?

fjrabon said:
$1700 price point happy? What would you pay for that camera?

What do you think is fair?
The entry level fx is $2k roughly. The d7000 was $1100 ... I'm thinking maybe $1500. I think it depends on the features of that vs the d7000 successor.

What impressed me was the 2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor that the guy says it will have.

I honestly can't see nikon putting out a new crop frame that's bigger than the D600. I'd put a wager on them not releasing anything any larger than the D7000/D600 in crop frame.

I honestly can't see nikon putting out a new crop frame that's bigger than the D600. I'd put a wager on them not releasing anything any larger than the D7000/D600 in crop frame.

You may be right, but I hope not.
Now that I have my D300, I sold my D90. I didn't want the D7000 for it's about the same size as the D90. I want something the build of the D300!!!

Now that I have my D300, I sold my D90. I didn't want the D7000 for it's about the same size as the D90. I want something the build of the D300!!!

I think we may get something built as solidly as the D300, but I doubt it will be as big. Basically a D7000, with an updated sensor (perhaps just the D3200 sensor though, as I dont think Sony even makes a better APS-C sensor than that right now anyway), better AF system, build quality of D800, body size of the D600, body focus motor, shooting speed of the D300 with a grip is what I would put my money on.

I'd also guess the D7000 line will be done away with, and a D5200 will split the difference between the D400 and the D3200 feature set wise. I know that's at odds with how Hogan and some others see it shaking out, but given the sensor they put in the D3200, and what they released in the D600, I don't see how they can 'fit' 3 models between the D3200 and the D600. And I don't see them outspecing an FX camera with a DX camera.

I think we may get something built as solidly as the D300, but I doubt it will be as big. Basically a D7000, with an updated sensor (perhaps just the D3200 sensor though, as I dont think Sony even makes a better APS-C sensor than that right now anyway), better AF system, build quality of D800, body size of the D600, body focus motor, shooting speed of the D300 with a grip is what I would put my money on.

I'd also guess the D7000 line will be done away with, and a D5200 will split the difference between the D400 and the D3200 feature set wise. I know that's at odds with how Hogan and some others see it shaking out, but given the sensor they put in the D3200, and what they released in the D600, I don't see how they can 'fit' 3 models between the D3200 and the D600. And I don't see them outspecing an FX camera with a DX camera.

As far as I can see, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Nikon has nothing competing with the Canon 7D, which to my knowledge is a higher price point that the D7000 level is. So there definitely room to expand for 1 more body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back