Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x stop autofocsing

MSnowy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm having an issue with Nikon teleconverter TC-14E II 1.4x. Was focusing fine then just stopped focusing between shots. I removed extender from lens and lens works just fine. Any suggestions?

Try cleaning the metal contacts on the lens, camera and teleconverter (the little copper coloured points in the mounts). Sometimes they get a little dirty and a quick clean fixes problems; you might also find that it just made a poor connection one time and that remounting the teleconverter solves the problem .

Try cleaning the metal contacts on the lens, camera and teleconverter (the little copper coloured points in the mounts). Sometimes they get a little dirty and a quick clean fixes problems; you might also find that it just made a poor connection one time and that remounting the teleconverter solves the problem .

Ok I'll try cleaning. What is the best cleaning solution? I've tried removing and reconnecting a few times, no luck.

Easy way is to the the eraser end of a pencil to rub the contacts clean. I've also read that some will use the graphite end of the pencil as well (though I've never used that as I would worry about graphite dust building up and blowing around inside the camera).

Easy way is to the the eraser end of a pencil to rub the contacts clean. I've also read that some will use the graphite end of the pencil as well (though I've never used that as I would worry about graphite dust building up and blowing around inside the camera).

Ok. Thank you for time

The graphite pencil trick is an old one! Graphite is both a lubricant, and a conductor. If you "pencil' the contacts, and then blow them off well... there shouldn't be any dust left, but there will be a infinitesimal amount of the graphite left on the surface of the contacts. It really does work. A soft pencil is preferred!

I would be more concerned about the rubber dust from the eraser.. make sure you blow the contacts off really well after doing that, and try to avoid getting any of that in the body. This does work well.. the eraser is a mild abrasive.

What are the Uses of Graphite? | eHow.com

What about eraser 'dust' building up, blowing around inside the camera, and getting on the image sensor. ;)

I would use a proper contact cleaner. It evaporates leaving no residue. Also what lens are you using? Teleconverters steal from your available light so if you're using a lens with a small effective aperture then the focusing system may just not be coping.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back