Nikon unveils 24.5MP D3x digital SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by prodigy2k7, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Define "right".

Some times the world around you doesn't agree with what your idea of the perfect composition of a scene is.

Walls aren't always straight, race cars don't always slow down so you can get them perfectly in the frame, your ideas of a perfect composition can end up being something different from what was entirely shot.

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who're we kidding. What megapixel cherrishing pixel peeper will take a photo with I'll crop this down in mind. We all know the rich tourists will buy the D3x and take photos at nascar races using the same 300mm lens they did previously and be just as screwed when the car isn't in the frame :lmao:

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    someone is not very happy:

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xcomments.htm

I don't follow Nikon enough to really pass judgment on the review - its a little overnegative for my tastes, yet it does raise a lot of good questions that should be answered and also does help put things into perspective

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I understand how resolution gives you headroom on big prints... is this a really big part of your business?

The D3 as a backup (and available with your 70-200 f/2.8 for high ISO times) is definitely going to rock, isn't it?

5. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember an article I read in a mag about astro photography when the digital was just appeared in the market. It took them agonizing 10 hours of exposure with 800 ISO film just to have an image of a distant galaxy. They dismissed the digitals as non serious cotender.

Well no more now. With 5x ISO capability that kind of job can be achieved in 20 minutes. And that one telescope can be used for many shooting in a single night. Imagine, viewing a galaxy in a single frame. Every addition of pixel will always be appreciated by these night workers. I don't know if they have switched to digital completely right now, but if they have than this is something for them.

Also we can't forget the billboard maker as well.

7. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    How many hard drives do you have? lol

8. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe your zoom isnt quite long enough and you want to zoom in closer with a crop? :)

9. rwilson

rwilson TPF Noob!

What good does 24 megapixles do? Isn't there some kind of limit to how well you can see or print a picture?

10. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    You can make really big prints :p

11. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So the first half of his negative review is because he thinks that the camera should have come out sooner? I stopped reading at the point where he said 'The D3x simply is not different enough from the D3'. That is a clear clue that he has no idea in the slightest what he's talking about. Different sensor = different board design = different methods of reading data = different methods of processing = different chips = more testing from the ground up = a long design process.

I'm not sure what he's beef is but the first half of that review is utter crap.

/EDIT: I went back and read the rest of it too. I like his conclusion about "serious amateurs'' who want a D700x at Canon 5DmkII prices. Even though from the looks of this thread I think his conclusions are wrong. Although a D700x would be nice. The D700 would come down in price even further :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  12. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Agreed. I'm pretty fussy though, I won't buy the D700/800 for the issue of size. I really like the vertical grip, but on that size body it becomes much more cumbersome. And mounting to a tripod with the grip attached always made me very nervous - quite a weak spot, but really only a concern if your tripod falls over. It happens.. :lol: