No new canon 5D to be made

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Original source;
http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2355

Like I said there this is good news for us canon people - a new camera means they won't limit either features or design to the current 5D. Considering that the current Nikon offering in the same market area is already a big upgrade from the 5D I think Canoners are in for a treat :)

be it true or not. every rumour that starts along the line of "I got a message from one of my contacts within Canon/Nikon" ... is just a rumour and not solid information. As we have realised over the last 6 years, Canon and Nikon have basically no information leaks ;)

"Any subsequent release of a full frame digital SLR in the EOS range will not be a 5D replacement and will in fact be a completely new camera model."

Thank goodness their new camera is going to be a new camera. Duh! I don't know if they could get away with another 30D (just increasing the LCD and price tag). People are starting to realize they should be getting a full line-up of pro features (like weather proofing, and a decent flash sync speed) when spending $3000+ on a camera body. The 5D is a full frame 20D.

Yeh... everyone who starts a rumor claims to have insider connections. Many end up just being wrong.

Looking at the current lineup, I say it is already crowded. I think the 30D as a current model needs to be tossed. 4 Rebels in the lineup is just 2 too many. 40D just looks out of place. If they choose to keep the 5D, it should be dropped in price to be the value-leader in the group (full frame at 30D price?).

I think each camera in the lineup should have clear intention/purpose. 1dsMIII -> high resolution studio. 1dMII -> sports photographer. 5d (assuming they keep it) should the equiv of the EOS 3. 40D -> enthusiast. thinking Elan7 equiv. Rebel -> student. Even then, I don't know where the "new" camera would fit. I think Canon's model numbering is also horrid.

be it true or not. every rumour that starts along the line of "I got a message from one of my contacts within Canon/Nikon" ... is just a rumour and not solid information. As we have realised over the last 6 years, Canon and Nikon have basically no information leaks ;)

But if its on the internet it has to be true!!:hail:

true - and the 500D is a lens not a camera!
hence why we have the 1000D -- and just where does that fit?

true - and the 500D is a lens not a camera!
hence why we have the 1000D -- and just where does that fit?

In terms of naming, the EOS 1000 D follows the EOS 1000 film SLR.

Incoming customers are already putting in a lot of effort to figure out basic camera jargon and techno babble, why are they confusing them even more with DSLR models. I don't ever recall the film lineup ever being that complex.

D30,
D60,
10D, (someone is dyslexic)
20D,
30D, (huh? is this the backwards cousin of the D30)
40D, (confusing with Nikon D40/D40x)
5D (didn't minolta have a 5D and 7D?) What happened to 2,3,4????
1D
1Ds (what the hell is "s". Kinda sounds like an improved version of the 1D but in reality is a completely different beast)

I'm also tired of the "D". 99% of cameras sold today are Digital, we don't need to be reminded of that. Pentax, Nikon, and Canon do the same freakin thing.

In some countries, it seems that the more numbers they tack to the model the lower the model in the lineup. What nonsense is that?

Oh don't get me started with the rebel. X XSI XTI etc.. hell where's the XXX version? XRAY? wtf does X mean anyway.

The international names are just hell - XT series - 300D series - kissX series

its makes searching for info so tricky when you start out == and yes those are all the same camera model!

1Ds (what the hell is "s". Kinda sounds like an improved version of the 1D but in reality is a completely different beast)

s = studio?

and no s = sport?

In some countries, it seems that the more numbers they tack to the model the lower the model in the lineup. What nonsense is that?

Oh don't get me started with the rebel. X XSI XTI etc.. hell where's the XXX version? XRAY? wtf does X mean anyway.

well, the international numbering makes some sense .. the whole kiss and X thingy is just numbered with 3 digits.

so you have 1 digit:

1D(s) mk III (mkII, mkI, N, ... )

5D

2 digits:

40D (before that we had the 30D, 20D, 10D)

3 digits:

450D (before that we had the 400D, before that the 3whatever D, ...)

and 4 digits for the low end series:

1000D

S = simplified:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back