NORTH GERMANY May 2008- Seriously now: maps, itinerary, prices

I can get 25 litres in the tank when it's empty

ok, with that capacity I would also need 1 1/2 tanks! ;) my fuel consumption goes up in towns .. alot!

and it goes up when the motorway is almost empty ;)

No need to worry then, Alex. The A1 up here is almost NEVER empty!

I have never before heard of a car with a petrol tank as small as 25L. The smallest I have heard about is 40L. Wow. What kind of car is that, ferny?

And flying over might - in the end - be the cheapest variety, and saving a lot in TIME, too! Mostly in time.

Which route do you want? From Florida to here? All the way???
Since you'll be landing in Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel (and since I'll probably be there - by car - to collect you from the airport) on 23rd, "your" route is there somewhere, oh yes, first map! :D

No need to worry then, Alex. The A1 up here is almost NEVER empty!

I have never before heard of a car with a petrol tank as small as 25L. The smallest I have heard about is 40L. Wow. What kind of car is that, ferny?

And flying over might - in the end - be the cheapest variety, and saving a lot in TIME, too! Mostly in time.

Old. ;)
It's my Herald which is my only car. Built 40 years ago when there weren't all-day petrol stations and people used the motorways as a family trip.

Later they came with a large tank which was 40L. That was largely down to sales-reps getting fed up of having to plan long routes around petrol stations they knew would be open. :mrgreen:

well, everything took another good step in the right direction. Got the thumbs-up to take that week off. So now i can go and see whats the best way to get there.
Which airport will be the one where most people will arrive? Think its best to go to that one then too.

Any chance you can get yourself to Bremen? That one's closest, next closest would the Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel.

yes, that should be possible :)
I think 14:10 is the earliest i can be in Bremen. Just freaky that the tax is twice the price of the ticket itself.
Anyways most (very) likely it will be Bremen. Have to wait for my next paycheck to get a ticket. Will see what they got then :)

Which route do you want? From Florida to here? All the way???
Since you'll be landing in Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel (and since I'll probably be there - by car - to collect you from the airport) on 23rd, "your" route is there somewhere, oh yes, first map! :D

I've been think about maybe renting a car and I get in around 7am

Wow, Jeff. You are very brave! :D
But if you should rent a car, then maybe part of my transportation problem on the Lüneburg-day resolves itself! So be brave and negotiate our German autobahnen and roads. Cool :D!

Hello Corrina,
It has been long time since I made a post on TPF. Sorry for that. I am busy settling in my new job.

Yeah, I never did forget about the meet. It has been in my mind ever since I am first informed. I tried to save office leaves for the purpose.

The one mistake I had done is that I have not yet applied for VISA and I was surprised to know that it would take some time before the process completes. I am sure that I shall get the VISA.

I have a few doubts regarding the trip:
First, I would like to know about what would be my total expense for the trip? (let's lay a rough estimate in Euro's, lets say cheapest)

Second, if I get down at Frankfurt, how can I get to the Meet place (transportation details along with price)

Third, if I need an invitation for VISA purpose, can I ask you for one (I am not sure about that, though my travel agent mentioned it)

I shall ask you queires now and then. Sorry for troubling you this way,

amiably,
Ravi.

PS: Please bear with me as I have a stringent budget.

Yes, I would send you the invitation! You might need one. I know.

Now I will have to roughly calculate the price for you, but it cannot be done in the short moment between reading your post (and being happy you are considering to come!!! You would REALLY, REALLY make this meet-up VERY international!!! :D) and typing up my reply, of course. But I will get back to you. Others will be equally interested in my calculations.

As to how to get here from Frankfurt, let me find out if coming all the way up by train is so much cheaper than hopping onto another plane and cover the distance by plane. I'll investigate in the possibilities for that, too, ok?

One thing I can tell you: for that one week I can offer you FREE ACCOMODATION, if you are willing to stay in a private home with the family of friends of mine (or with my friend Heike, who lives only across the fence from where most of the others are going to stay in the holiday apartments).

Again, to anyone else who can only just afford the journey but maybe no accomodation costs: you can stay with friends of mine for FREE.

Wait.. did I see the word free? *pounces on the opportunity*

But on a serious note I truly am looking into things. My prior trip might be changed (boo) but there are some other possibilities. Perhaps a small European vacation (not the Chevy Chase version) with my mother (she is tiny... 5'2" and won't get in anyones way ;)), a few days at the meetup and perhaps visiting some new family down in Munich.

Just a heads up that I am still a good possibility!

Brittany, that would be really really cool. Keep in mind that Hamburg and Munich are not in their immediate neighbourhood, though, it is an 8-hour journey from one place to the other.

So would tiny-mom and you want to stay in the holiday apartments (for roughly 8 Euro per day/person) or with friends of mine, what do you guess?

Have you managed to book any apartments yet?
If so, how much will it cost?
If it's not wildly expensive I'm sure I can afford to pay for another room or two for other people.
So don't let lack of funds put you off coming. We'll look after you.
I'll be driving from Calais up through Belgium - but I think we will have a car full.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back