Not a lens question.

Richard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raeelle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Should I be using my flash on mostly manual or do most people keep it on auto and just concentrate on power and bouncing? I have a SB-600 on a D40. I use it for fill flash, and indoor portraits right now.

It depends...(that's the answer to just about everything around here ;) )

If you have a dedicated flash...there is nothing wrong with using the TTL metering that it's capable of. This is especially true with digital because you can easily see if the flash exposure is way off. If you know what you are doing, manual flash control is a bit more consistent...but that's more important when you can't see what you are getting.

I typically shoot with the flash on auto. I end up with pretty consistent results, and I almost always bounce and/or diffuse to get softer lighting.

My next question; when the flash in on the camera and you are bouncing the light, do you just leave the flash zoom on auto or do you set it to lets say 50mm no matter what focal length your lens is at? I think I understand what the zoom does when the flash is direct but does it still apply when you bounce the light?

Check your flash...I think that when mine is not facing forward, the auto zoom automatically defaults to something... (not sure what though).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back