NSFW Photo Essay 2 - A girl and her Fuji Instax

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Fiance had wanted an instant camera for a while, but I was saying quality is not good and cost per print is high - but we bought one to see if we like it.

My 'model' feels a bit self conscious when posing for my (very) amateur portrait sessions, but is happy if playing with her phone or a camera. Fuji XF 35mm f1.4

2018_1110_13122200_20190201163427095.jpg

2018_1110_13143700.jpg

2018_1110_13133900.jpg

2018_1110_12585900.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done; the two where you're holding the instant prints would have been even better had you had her mimic the pose in the print.

Nicely done; the two where you're holding the instant prints would have been even better had you had her mimic the pose in the print.

Ah yes - good suggestion for next time.

I think these are lovely, especially for an amateur model. The concept of the DoF/poloroid shots is well executed.

Let me nitpick and point out two small compositional elements that would improve 2 of the photos. On #1, the blurred black strip in the background is distracting. On #3 there is a small white blur in her hair and her fingernail polish is a bit chipped and uneven. Given the narrow DoF, those small things make a difference. You could easily fix those with a cloning tool.

Otherwise, 4 lovely results. I hope we'll see more.

I think these are lovely, especially for an amateur model. The concept of the DoF/poloroid shots is well executed.

Let me nitpick and point out two small compositional elements that would improve 2 of the photos. On #1, the blurred black strip in the background is distracting. On #3 there is a small white blur in her hair and her fingernail polish is a bit chipped and uneven. Given the narrow DoF, those small things make a difference. You could easily fix those with a cloning tool.

Thank you - all very useful tips for my next attempt.

I love the work on your Flickr page. The first shot of "room with a view"--clone out blind cord behind her head and that would be outstanding.

I love the work on your Flickr page. The first shot of "room with a view"--clone out blind cord behind her head and that would be outstanding.

Thank you! Yes. I've had a few goes at cloning out the blind cord (it features in several shots from that day), but it gets messy where it crosses the buildings and my 'model'.

IDk. I think that would be kind of "meh". Perhaps unintentional, but I kind of like the disjointed weirdness here. They're like impossible self portraits and as series (including those holding the camera), it's interesting, even a little bit eerie.

Like I said, I am pretty sure that wasn't your intention with these - but I don't think it really matters, either. I actually like these a lot.

They're like impossible self portraits and as series (including those holding the camera), it's interesting, even a little bit eerie.

Yeah, almost has a hostage/ransom feel. I know, I watch too much tv:biglaugh: Honestly, I think the suggestion of mimicry would work. With the instant pics involved, I wonder how a BW conversion might look?

They're like impossible self portraits and as series (including those holding the camera), it's interesting, even a little bit eerie.

Yeah, almost has a hostage/ransom feel. I know, I watch too much tv:biglaugh: Honestly, I think the suggestion of mimicry would work. With the instant pics involved, I wonder how a BW conversion might look?

I tried a selective black and white conversion, but I don't think that works. We'll try the mimic option next time, at least it's fun trying different ways to combine the images.

- a bit like the shots showing a phone screen, I like the picture-in-picture look.

She's holding one picture in the background, but I don't think that's clear.

2018_1110_13142500_20190202190704320.jpg

.[/QUOTE] The first shot of "room with a view"--clone out blind cord behind her head and that would be outstanding.[/QUOTE]

Finally had a go at removing the blind cord - but it was a jpeg edit, so some loss of details.

2019-02-25_04-35-09_20190225161528841.jpg

Very nice. I wish you'd moved just a tad so her head would have clear space around it and not be touching the central column.

Very nice. I wish you'd moved just a tad so her head would have clear space around it and not be touching the central column.

Yes - I was thinking that while I was editing, and realised issues like that can't be easily fixed later.

I did take some other shots with a better position, but the pose was not as good. Not easy to get everything to come together! :)

As women move and change poses, often with longer hair it needs periodically to be combed/arranged; it creates dark lines where it's straggling across a shoulder, etc.

I don't understand why she had to do something that she's uncomfortable with, much less have the photos be posted publicly. She's lovely, but looking at some of the Flickr stream she seems with these type photos to be looking down or at a phone (and it seems like the way a child might be treated being given a toy to stay occupied); when she's looking at the camera and smiling she's in a dress, at dinner or out and about, etc. I don't get why the camera and film couldn't have been a gift instead of being given for doing something she didn't want to do.

As women move and change poses, often with longer hair it needs periodically to be combed/arranged; it creates dark lines where it's straggling across a shoulder, etc.

I don't understand why she had to do something that she's uncomfortable with, much less have the photos be posted publicly. She's lovely, but looking at some of the Flickr stream she seems with these type photos to be looking down or at a phone (and it seems like the way a child might be treated being given a toy to stay occupied); when she's looking at the camera and smiling she's in a dress, at dinner or out and about, etc. I don't get why the camera and film couldn't have been a gift instead of being given for doing something she didn't want to do.

Good tip about her hair - thank you.

She loves to see the results of the portrait sessions, and says they will be great to look back on when we're older - but she gets bored and fidgety quickly

She has the soul of a cat, playful, willful, could sleep all day, obsessed with food, and needs something to keep her amused to get her stay still (when she's not asleep).

But when she sees the images, she's delighted and suggests ways to improve them next time.

I guess there's a big difference between a professional model, and a girlfriend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back