What's new

OCF C&C Please

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
237
Location
Cincinnati OH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I tried off camera flash really for the first time. This is a two light setup. First light high camera right with a snoot at like 1/16 power. Second light behind subject trying to provide a rim light (Unfortunately this failed...not really sure why).

Let me know what you guys think and how I can improve. I shot this at f8 and 1/200.


OH MY GOD IM IN A PUMPKIN by JChick526, on Flickr


As always thanks for looking and your opinions are very welcome,

Joe
 
Having thought about how I did this I wish I would of stopped down to f/11 to cut the background even more.
 
I think both lights should have been set for more power.

Oh, BTW: the pose is creepy.
 
You could shop it and open the mid tones.
 
I think both lights should have been set for more power.

Oh, BTW: the pose is creepy.

I intentionally wanted it dark with shadows. I don't find it creepy at all though. Maybe b/c its my baby.
 
I'm not sure how i feel about the angle of the shot. It makes me feel awkward. I straightened the image so it looks like your daughter is looking upwards more so and darkened the background. I also slightly edited the pumpkin by removing some of the scraps left from carving it so it look nicer, but not too much so it still holds its authenticity. I made sure to keep the glow around your girl and the pumpkin, its very nice. Something I don't like about this edit though, is that the crop is too tight, but that'd the result of straightening it.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Didn't embed straight to post because image is too large, sorry.
 
i believe he doesn't like being in a pumpkin.
 
I intentionally wanted it dark with shadows. I don't find it creepy at all though. Maybe b/c its my baby.

I do like the shadows of the face and the facial expression. Far better than a kid looking straight at you with an evil blank stare. The green blanket/scarf with the white flower pedals takes away from the image for me. I would personally have liked to see something more themed towards Halloween if you are utilizing a pumpkin. The biggest complaint other than me feeling the composition is terrible due to the pumpkin being cut out on the left, is the mess left-over on the right side of the image and the distraction away from the child by the baseboard moulding. The background of the subject isn't terrible but seeing the white molding creates a distraction for the entire background. Not bad though at all.
 
I'm not sure how i feel about the angle of the shot. It makes me feel awkward. I straightened the image so it looks like your daughter is looking upwards more so and darkened the background. I also slightly edited the pumpkin by removing some of the scraps left from carving it so it look nicer, but not too much so it still holds its authenticity. I made sure to keep the glow around your girl and the pumpkin, its very nice. Something I don't like about this edit though, is that the crop is too tight, but that'd the result of straightening it.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Didn't embed straight to post because image is too large, sorry.

I like the edit. Especially the straightening. It does help. Thanks for taking the time.
 
i believe he doesn't like being in a pumpkin.

She was surprisingly good for being put in a pumpkin. This was the very first shot I took. I checked the lighting with some tests and this was the very first shot of her actually in the pumpkin.
 
Having thought about how I did this I wish I would of stopped down to f/11 to cut the background even more.

Aperture would equally darken the whole scene, not just the background. Was there ambient light on the background? If so, raising your shutter speed would be how you darken the background.
 
I intentionally wanted it dark with shadows. I don't find it creepy at all though. Maybe b/c its my baby.

I do like the shadows of the face and the facial expression. Far better than a kid looking straight at you with an evil blank stare. The green blanket/scarf with the white flower pedals takes away from the image for me. I would personally have liked to see something more themed towards Halloween if you are utilizing a pumpkin. The biggest complaint other than me feeling the composition is terrible due to the pumpkin being cut out on the left, is the mess left-over on the right side of the image and the distraction away from the child by the baseboard moulding. The background of the subject isn't terrible but seeing the white molding creates a distraction for the entire background. Not bad though at all.

I agree entirely. Thats why I cropped so hard on the left. To eliminate the moulding. I tried to convince the wife to put the pumpkin on a table to avoid that but she wanted it on the ground in case it rolled over. Practicality on the wife's part won that one.

I would of liked for the background to be entirely black. I think I should of stopped down to f11.

EDIT: I agree about the green blanket. It however was the best I had on hand.
 
Last edited:
Many ways in post to darken the background
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom