OFC sb-800?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a quick question. Something tells me I'm doing this wrong. On camera I enabled Auto FP and had the flash mounted. 1/1000 s the flash is plenty powerful.
When I set it off camera and fired it with my camera in commander mode at the same shutter speed, it's pretty underexposed. Is this common? Or am I doing something wrong ?

On my D7000, the popup flash is limited to 1/320 shutter speed for high speed sync. If you put the SB800 on your camera then you would be able to work around that. I typically use the SB800 commander mode to trigger other Nikon flashes to work around this limitation.

If you turn the flash into [- -] it will allow you to sync higher.
I read about people having issues with it and it's Ttl metering. Something about having to set the flash ev to + 1 or + 2. I haven't tried it since I read up on it. It was driving me nuts. I guess I'm not the only one. I'll give it a shot later and let you know how it turns out.

I read about people having issues with it and it's Ttl metering. Something about having to set the flash ev to + 1 or + 2. I haven't tried it since I read up on it. It was driving me nuts.

The flash wont be putting out near as much power since it is strobing... so yea, distance would play a major part, and using EV or ISO compensation would be needed .

cgipson1 said:
The flash wont be putting out near as much power since it is strobing... so yea, distance would play a major part, and using EV or ISO compensation would be needed .

I'm gonna have to try the ev. I mounted it on camera and shot it head on.... It was a bit harsh and over exposed ( i didn't care since I was testing this out.)
Took it off camera and set to remote and turned the pop up flash into commander and [ - - ] and it was waaaaaaay darker than it was mounted on camera with the same settings. Add to it that I held it next to the camera. I read it's a difference of metering. Flash meters CW and when you take it off the camera meters Matrix....I have no clue how true but I will give it a shot in a bit.

If you mean set the flash to "--" in the "Flash Control for Build-in Flash" menu option that effectively means OFF. From the D7000 manual (and I know the D90 is similar), "The built-in flash does not fire, although remote flash units do. The built-in flash must be raised so that it can emit monitor pre-flashes."

Regardless what the manual says, when the built-in flash is set to '--' it does indeed fire, but at a low power setting. Give it a try.

It has to fire, to generate the infrared (IR), invisible to humans, Commander mode signal going to off camera flash units.

Watch this video;

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless what the manual says, when the built-in flash is set to '--' it does indeed fire, but at a low power setting. Give it a try.

It has to fire, to generate the infrared (IR), invisible to humans, Commander mode signal going to off camera flash units.
AS my response stated:

The built-in flash must be raised so that it can emit monitor pre-flashes.

So just an update.... Increased the flash EV and it set the zoom to 24 mm and all set. Exposed properly. When the zoom was set you can see the concentration of light almost like a snoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back