Ok, I can take it... How much is it worth?

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of my father's had this lens given to him. He doesn't do photography more than to take snapshots at family events, so he has no use for it. I'm going to talk with him today about buying/trading for the lens and I want to go with at least an idea of how much it's worth. My best estimate so far is in the $8,000 range. Yikes. But it is L glass. I was hoping some of you fine folks would have a more definite answer. Here's some pictures and the specs:

Specs:

Manufacturer: Canon
Focal Range: 800mm Prime
Maximum Aperture: 1:5.6
Aperture Range: 5.6-32
Mount: Canon FD

And now, the pictures:

800mm_1.jpg

800mm_2.jpg

800mm_3.jpg

800mm_4.jpg

800mm_5.jpg

I'm not sure what's it worth, a bunch :)

The thing is it's FD mount however.. so you'll not be able to achieve infinity focus if you attempt to mount it to your Rebel with a mechanical adapter. You'll need an adapter with an optical element which certainly will degrade the quality from this ridiculous lens. The FD mount depends on a shorter sensor to lens distance than the minimum distance available on an EOS mount. You would be able to easily adapt this to a mirrorless camera however.

Thanks a.u. I'm aware of the limitations of using FD glass on EF cameras. In the near future (if I can work out a deal), I plan on getting one of the cheap glass-less adapters and using it for "closer" (lol) subjects. I wonder if I could focus the moon without infinity focus? hmmm. Has anyone ever tried one of the optical adapters to see just how much IQ is lost? Thanks again for the input.

If I saw it in a store with a ~$7500 price tag, I would think that was reasonable.

One sold on eBay for ~$1500 recently apparently. FD lenses have depreciated especially fast because the demand is so low these days.

Buy an older film camera and mount it to that!

Or a Micro 4/3... 1600mm with the crop factor!

OMG OMG OMG I just stole this lens!! All he wanted was a laptop for his wife to use when they go on long trips. I had just a Dell M5030 about 2 months ago new for $275.00. I had it with me, so I showed it to him and he said "let's trade". DEAL.

LCARSx32 said:
OMG OMG OMG I just stole this lens!! All he wanted was a laptop for his wife to use when they go on long trips. I had just a Dell M5030 about 2 months ago new for $275.00. I had it with me, so I showed it to him and he said "let's trade". DEAL.

I. HATE. YOU.

;). Awesome score.

I HATE HIM TOO!

That said weren't there some official high grade FD to EOS adaptors made by canon and sold in limited numbers? For a big of glass like that I'd consider it worth hunting around to try and find one (as I recall they get a bit expensive when they do appear).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back