Okay, wtf is with the new layout

Just curious, but what size monitor are you running?

How about anyone else, what size monitor?

How about anyone else, what size monitor?
17 inch CRT 1152x864 at home and 17 inch CRT (crappy dark and crappy gfx card) 1024x768 at work. I don't care about viewing photos at work because they all look like crap. I've seen well exposed images posted from viewing at home that were nearly complete black squares on my work laptop and CRT combo. I can't get that thing looking good at all.

Mine is 1440x900, but with my browser (Opera) & the way it's set up - 700 (tall) is close to the limit that I can view without scrolling.

If we are going to set the default based on the majority of the users, I think a poll is in order to see what the majority of the forum thinks the default should be at.

Temporarily, I have set it at 800 as has been requested.

I much prefer it that way, I had set my User CP at 800 anyway, it seems to be the size the majority of people use.

first thing I did was to turn the auto resize thing off, I found the yellow boxes were distracting away from the posted photos and this forum is all about the photos after all.
Guess this is the problem when the new people running a photo forum don't have the love for photography that the members do. Photo forums are way different from your everyday movie/tv show/car/sport type forum.
Photo forums are ALL about the photos where the others mentioned above are all about the text posted. Thats why all these flash adverts and tag boxes and stupidly big signatures (not that anyone does anything about that despite all the threads complaining about them) don't work well on a photo forum.

makes me laugh that people are moaning about having to scroll horizontally to view a photo, give it a few weeks and they will be moaning about having to scroll vertically to view the replies.

If you want to try and improve this forum how about making the quick reply box wider? as someone has already mentioned.
At the moment it is this big
---------------------------------------

how about making it this big?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

and please please please sort out members signatures that go against TPF rules on signature sizes

Well I do not think there was anything wrong with TFP or that any of these small minor changes will improve it.

And I also do not like these yellow boxes too.

As lostorophet said this place is all about the photographs the members post and that noting should be done that changes the presentation of the photographs

got to know your demography

change is good.
but too drastic of a change scares people away.

this threw me off pretty bad. didnt think i clicked on the right place.

things in nature evolve slowly, had this of taken more time and been more subtle, one thing at a time and just work it in, then it probably would have been accepted.

you cant just take something that people are completely used too and flip it around.

its kind of like coming home one night and finding that somebody broke in and replaced/re-arranged all of your furniture.... its still your home, but you just dont feel as comfortable anymore.

now, if somebody entered and replaced one piece at a time over a month or so, it wouldnt be as noticeable and people would be more comfy.

some have been coming here for a long time, i have been lurking and posting here for over a year and a half, i can say that i just dont like it. ads dont really bother me, and the layout looks good. you did a fine job, and over time as more new people come through and start off with the new layout the old one will phase itself out.

but its not home. its not comfortable to me.

I think that when you have a large forum like this, and when lots of people are invested in it, and it has become very much like a family, people feel as if they own the forum and not only participate on it. So when changes are made, there will be quite a large outcry.

That being said, changing a large site like this takes time, and seeing as the admins are set on there being a change, us TPFers are going to have to live with it.

I agree with LP in that I'm not too thrilled with the idea of having a photography site run by those who are not photographers. But once again, we have to live with it. And also, many of the mods and editors are still those that we know and love! I think the present owners got off to a bad start by “firing” Corry and Corinna and the mayhem that ensued after that incident. And of course, if things get WAY out of hand, we can all just strike :lol:.

I think that resizing the photos – while not met with universal approval – is a very good compromise.

I also think that if we all think this through with the knowledge that we do not own this site, and suggest items instead of whining, things will get done faster, and we won't seem as childish.

Oh. And if you really hate the new template, just change it back to TPF default! That's what I did...

change is good.---
Could not disagree more, yes change can be good but not always, some times it is just add negative value, remember New Coke

--I also think that if we all think this through with the knowledge that we do not own this site, and suggest items instead of whining, things will get done faster, and we won't seem as childish--
Most media outlets cover cost with advertising.

YES, we are not the owners but we are the end users and if we become unhappy. And if advertising dope then what happen? I know more changes.

change is good.
but too drastic of a change scares people away.

Could not disagree more, yes change can be good but not always, some times it is just add negative value, remember New Coke
Exactly. That is a comment that everyone makes, especially in recent history with the US politics. Change is certainly not always good.

If they came out with "New and Improved" Oreos, that certainly wouldn't be good. There is nothing like an Oreo cookie. It is perfect just as it is.

Just as Jeff says, look at what they did with Coke.

I am an avid Toyota pickup truck fan. In 1995, they changed the Toyota pickup truck. They put a garbage front suspension on it, they put a garbage steering system on it. They made it heavier and quieter and took everything away that made the pickup truck what it is. They "Americanized" it and "changed" it. It was not good.

The way the forum was here is probably the best looking and easiest to read forum of any forum I frequent (around 20 I'm active on and another 20 I'm no longer active on.)

Change is not always good. With the internet, simplicity is the key. K.I.S.S. Make it easy to navigate, easy to read, and easy to use. That certainly wasn't the case with the change recently.

The sidebar next to each user's reply (the bit with the user name and avatar in it) could be set to horizontal instead of vertical, that would mean there would be more room to post larger images, reducing the need to resize photos?

Sorry guys I am not going to read the 7 pages of replies but there is a bug in the layout.

When posting an image wider than the default width of the forum for the current screen resolution (1024x768 atm) the featured ads on the right hand side bleed into the content making it very difficult to read the text and interfering with the image.

This happens in firefox 3, ie 6 and chrome 1.

Anybody else notice that the classmates.com ad is slowing down the the ability to scroll down the page. As soon as the ad appears on the screen scrolling slows way down. Im going back to the old format.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back