Old Nikon AF lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jamiebonline, Jul 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jamiebonline

jamiebonline TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on older AF zoom lenses for Nikon. I have a DX body (not wanting to be too personal) and I am interested in a 24-80 or so range (35mm equiv). I could get a kit lens like the 18-55 but thought there might be something of similar price but better. It can also be third party. Thanks!

2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You body most likely cannot drive old AF lens and you need to use AF-S lenses.

I'd ask what camera you own--to confirm--but it seems that's too personal a question.

3. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Any D3x00 or d5x00 camera requires AF-S for autofocus. Thus AF lenses will NOT AF on those bodies.

If you have a d7x00 (or older d70, d90) and above that have a focus motor in the body then you can use older AF/AF-D lenses and have them AutoFocus.

At that point the question comes up are you looking for a general lens or more of a pro f/2.8 lens or something in between?

The 35-70/2.8 was an old pro lens but suffers from flare issues when directed towards a light. But super sharp and great colors.

The 28-80 variable aperture lenses are CHEAP and SHARP. There was a Lens Across America on this lens last year or the year before with excellent results (other than that it broke).

I use a 24-85/2.8-4.0 which is still on the "top" lens lists for FF cameras.

Expanding a bit, I als0 a 80-200/2.8, and a 18-35/AF-D. All great lenses and you save so much money that it's easy to upgrade to a better body because of it, even up to FF.

And if you like primes. 24/2.8 AF-D, 50/1.8 or 1.4 AF-D, 85/1.4 or 1.8 .. there's also 20mm and 18mm lenses.
    all great lenses and you can save tons of $$ compared to the modern counterparts. If you like manual focus then AI-S lenses are also available.

of course, they are all used.
    Edit: they actually still make a few AI-S and AF-D lenses.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. jamiebonline

jamiebonline TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi again, thanks a lot. There is a focus motor in my Nikon luckily

5. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then you're set.

6. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Well recommendations will be different based on your camera body of course, when I had the APS-C sensor D7100, I had a Tamron 17-50 2.8 without a built in focus motor that I used quite a bit. Very nice lens, paid just a little over $100 for it used.

Now that I'm shooting a D600 FX, I switched to a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 since the 17-50 was designed for DX format.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016