Olympus teases a new micro 4/3rs model

Nope!

The new camera doesn't compete with the M9 (which is not 4/3rds format). It competes directly with offerings from Panasonic's GH1 and GF1. Olympus is playing catchup as their offerings were at a bit of disadvantage coming out of the gate with their Pany brothers.

Panasonic improved their AF performance which wasn't technology shared with Olympus.

Nope!

The new camera doesn't compete with the M9 (which is not 4/3rds format). It competes directly with offerings from Panasonic's GH1 and GF1. Olympus is playing catchup as their offerings were at a bit of disadvantage coming out of the gate with their Pany brothers.

Panasonic improved their AF performance which wasn't technology shared with Olympus.
Leica is going down, face it.

4/3 still hasn't interested me. I don't get the appeal. Kind of like the new Mac tablet. To big to be super convienient and to small to be right. (these are personal preferences of course.) Plus buying into a whole other system. The technology of 4/3 is cool, but I cannot grasp the appeal just yet.

4/3 still hasn't interested me. I don't get the appeal. Kind of like the new Mac tablet. To big to be super convienient and to small to be right. (these are personal preferences of course.) Plus buying into a whole other system. The technology of 4/3 is cool, but I cannot grasp the appeal just yet.

For the same reason

* Netbooks made a splash
* High end point and shoots made a re-emergence in the market
* Smaller utilitarian cars emerged after the SUV craziness.. some even compromising in the middle.

Because some photographers (some with skills that rival professionals) have realized that it will always be for enjoyment nothing more, nothing less. That the tool of choice must fit their lives not the other way around.

Is the micro 4/3rds format going to be successful? no idea.. but there are some nice design concepts that I can respect. I acquired a G1 recently (body only used) for use with my collection of manual focus lenses. I have to say, that shooting with it can be pretty fun.

The M9 is a completely different concept.... not even in the same space. Full frame, manual focus, rangefinder... almost nothing about the M9 would attract potential buy ins to the 4/3rds cameras and vice versa.

Basically what I am saying about the 4/3's system is this....

1) Its to big to be a super light/pocket size alternative.
2) If you carry that much, carry a "fuzz" more and use a Drebel for a larger sensor.
3) If you need something really small, get a g10 or similar.

It just seems to me that it would be an extremely small slice of the market. These are just my personal thoughts, and I do not mean to offend anyone at all with them.......unless you are a Nikon shooter.

B I do not mean to offend anyone at all with

Absolutely no offense taken..

1) and 2)...

GF1 is significantly smaller. Micro 4/3rd lenses are significantly smaller. Some would argue they also perform better than Canon kit lenses. The G1 and GH1 bodies are only slightly smaller than the rebel. GH1 does HD video (but then again... much more expensive)

3) High end P&S sensor size is severely limiting compared to the larger micro 4/3rd format. Lenses are not interchangeable. For some (like me) use it with legacy manual focus lenses. In my case, M-mount, M42, and K-mount.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back