Opinion of Nikon in general

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has Nikon been losing a lot of customers due to the d600 issue? Do you guys feel as though Nikon has treated their customers unfairly/dishonestly with that problem?(releasing the d610 right after and not providing refunds/trade ins...etc).

I'm thinking of going over to canon soley because of customer service. If I'm going to stick to a certain company because of the lenses I will invest in, I need to be sure I can trust them to treat me fairly and honestly.

You can trust me, with your money!

I've been shooting with a D700 since 2011, never had to service it, lens too.
I've been shooting with a F501 and then a F4s for more than 10 years. Well, never went back to Nikon for repairs. Any decent camera repair shop can do the job.
So what's your concern again?

You can trust me, with your money!

I've been shooting with a D700 since 2011, never had to service it, lens too.
I've been shooting with a F501 and then a F4s for more than 10 years. Well, never went back to Nikon for repairs. Any decent camera repair shop can do the job.
So what's your concern again?

You have not answered the question. Read again, you'll see my concern.

Has Nikon been losing a lot of customers due to the d600 issue? Do you guys feel as though Nikon has treated their customers unfairly/dishonestly with that problem?(releasing the d610 right after and not providing refunds/trade ins...etc).

I'm thinking of going over to canon soley because of customer service. If I'm going to stick to a certain company because of the lenses I will invest in, I need to be sure I can trust them to treat me fairly and honestly.

Practically none, considering very few actually had the extremely overhyped oil/dust issue and the ones that did Nikon fixed for free, so other than on the interwebs it was pretty much a non issue.

Practically none, considering very few actually had the extremely overhyped oil/dust issue and the ones that did Nikon fixed for free, so other than on the interwebs it was pretty much a non issue.

I see, so it was more of a rare issue that was being exaggerated.

You should read Thom Hogan's February 2014 article entitled, "Can You Trust The Camera Makers?", located here: Can You Trust the Camera Makers? | byThom | Thom Hogan

It should be required reading for all BSO's, BCO's, and BNO's (butt-hurt Sony owners, butt-hurt Canon owners, and butt-hurt Nikon owners).

Last edited:
Yes, I trust Nikon. Yes, I think they treated their customers fairly.

I agree with Robbins. The vocal minority shouted louder than the satisfied minority. How many D600's have been sold? How many had the oil problem? We'll never know the answer to either however I'd be willing to be my bottom dollar that the former VASTLY outnumbered the latter.

Anything made on a production line is subject to occasional problems. That's why they have a warranty period. As far as I know Nikon fixed every one that was returned to them. What else would you have them do?

I see, so it was more of a rare issue that was being exaggerated.

Yup, pretty much. There were a few cameras that had the issue, and the owner could take it to any authorized Nikon repair center and get it fixed for free. It was talked about a lot more often than it actually happened, and there were quite a few non-Nikon owners who would often posts stuff all over claiming to had a D600 with the problem because for some odd reason some folks seem to think if they use one brand of camera everyone else should use it too and as a result they tend to overhype any problem with any camera brand that isn't their own. But the actual number of cameras that were brought in for repair were minuscule compared to the number of D600's that were manufactured.

All in All Nikon has an excellent track record of building a high quality product, and particularly if you purchase new or refurbished with a warranty they have an excellent reputation for addressing any warranty issues you might experience. I own a D5200 myself, and before that a D5100. Never had a single problem with either, both were very well constructed and I have no complaints about either. Odds are good you'll probably end up replacing the camera long before you experience any issues with it, most people do because the technology advances so fast.

Just take a look at Ebay and see how many D40's, D50's, D90's are out there for sale - all still in working condition even though they are very old cameras.

Chris from The Camera Store is a Canadian guy who reviews cameras on youtube, he also sells cameras for his living.
He addressed this issue with the D600 and he pretty much said this is way over hyped.
I am sure there was some issue with the oil/dust but it was really not as bad as you might think.

Did I lost my faith in Nikon ?
Not at all, I bought a Nikon D7000 which was a lemon with a well known problem of Back Focusing, if I would have lost faith with Nikon I would probably be the owner of a Pentax or Sony today but I am not I own a D7100 and I love it and love Nikon.
My next camera will probably be Nikon as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it. I'll look into that reading Derrel

A few years back my old cool pix 5700 suddenly went south... All that I saw after taking a shot was grey crap in the viewfinder... It was at least two years beyond warranty so I searched around to see what the problem might be and found out that there had been a problem with the sensors in that camera... Not having a camera shop within 30 Km's I enquired directly from nikon if I could send it back to their repair shop for evaluation to see if it could be fixed or if I should start looking for a new camera. Deep down I was hoping it was beyond repair so that I could justify moving up to a dslr...

THe short of is that two weeks later I received a parcel back from nikon with my fully functional cool pix 5700... They had done whatever was necessary (something about the sensor) as well as given it a thorough cleaning and it has been working perfectly well ever since. This, again, was years past its warranty. Customer service... Can't think it could be any better than that... There was no charge for the repair, nor for the shipping!

On that day nikon won themselves a loyal customer. In the past month I have since kitted out with a barely used D700 and set of lens (sorry, glass... I'm learning). Rightly or wrongly I spent little time looking at other manufacturers offerings, rather spent my time evaluating many different models of nikon and having been enjoying my new baby ever since.

Yep. Blown way out of proportion.
Most of those reporting oil spots problems had no technical understanding and actually had dust on their image sensor.

A member recently reported being 'irritated' because one of 2 of his lenses had spots he couldn't get rid of.
That too was a case of lacking technical knowledge and the issues was he had dust on his image sensor.

Imagine how many D600s Nikon USA Service had to deal with that has no oil spots because people just assumed ANY spot absolutely had to be oil.
Imagine how many new D600s got returned based on the-sky-is-falling, the-sky-is-falling, the-sky-is-falling wails from less than fully informed online information.

~$15K in Nikon gear, been digital since the D1/D100 came out. In all that time I've had ONE occasion to use Nikon's service; my 24-70 focusing helicoil packed it in. I shipped it off (under warranty) and received a BRAND NEW replacement lens in <3 weeks. I received two telephone calls during that time advising me of the status of the repair, and a follow-up e-mail. NO complaints with Nikon WHATSOEVER!

I bought the D5200 knowing about the issues with the D600.

Here was my thought-process: I really wanted the D600, but read about the issues. Instead of judging the company, I judged the product model. I would've gone with the Canon 6D (I actually wish I did -- company has nothing to do with it), but I went with the D5200 and I've had no issues.

From someone who wanted the D600, I would've bought the D610 if it was out at the time I was buying. I felt the Canon 6D didn't represent enough value for the money (I think I was specifically looking at the AF system, but I was totally new to photography at the time).

Anyways... long story short... the D600 issue did cause me to think hard for a bit about Nikon... but in the end, it's just one problem. I stop believing in a company once I'm personally treated poorly, or once they start making repeat mistakes (ex. if their D610 started to have issues, or if they released a D620 with issues... and just kept cutting corners over and over).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back