Opinions on the Tokina 11-20 f2.8

Alhazred

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
gloppix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father just told me that he is thinking to buy the Tokina 11-20 f2.8, it would be used both on a Nikon D90 and a D300s.

Do you have any feedback about that lens?

I don't have that specific lens, but I do have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. It is a very good wide angle zoom for crop sensor cameras and I would expect the Tokina 11-20 f2.8 to be every bit as good.

I use the 11-16 as well, and absolutely love it. It typically stays at the 11mm end unless I really need to crop in a little for a specific composition. My understanding is that the 11-20 is comparable sharpness ands performance, but a little longer zoom range. Great for creative compositions and even photographing people in tight spaces as long as you remember to keep the subject away fr9m the edges.

I had the 11-20 and loved it. This lens was part of my DX kit (D7200 body, several DX lenses) which I have now sold and replaced with my Z 6 kit which is lighter-weight (than my D850) for hiking and travel.

There is an excellent 10 to 20 on the market… I'm not sure why anybody would buy 11 to 16 when the 10 to 20 is available. As far as I know Ron Lane is this form's biggest user of the 10 to 20. Perhaps @ronlane Will weigh in here

There is an excellent 10 to 20 on the market… I'm not sure why anybody would buy 11 to 16 when the 10 to 20 is available. As far as I know Ron Lane is this form's biggest user of the 10 to 20. Perhaps @ronlane Will weigh in here

I am?? lol. I have a 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 that I use for landscape and astro photos. (got it to shoot real estate but my market crashed).

I know that I would love to have a 10-20 f/2.8. That would be really nice for landscape and astro. Might even make me spend more time outside in the middle of the night instead of sleeping.

My bad! I knew that you had a double ratio wide zoom, and I was thinking it was the 10-20, but it's actually a 15 to 30. LOL.

It's all good Derrel. I don't mind weighing in on this topic. A 10-20 f/2.8 would be a nice addition to the kit but the wife has halted all purchases after me getting the 300mm f/2.8 for football.

Most reactions

Back