Opportunity of a lifetime, and get some fun out of it as well!

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the process of learning to draw, and I really like drawing portraits (heads/shoulder) - that is what I'd like to be good at. I have drawn my family, I've drawn myself and I've drawn some random old man from google town.

So, would anyone be willing to post up a head'n shoulder shot of yourself? I need to practice on making people resemble themselves. You could post a "pass port shot", some weird facial expression (those are hard, which means I need to work on them), from the side, from down below, whatever you like.

I would appreciate shots with "decent" lighting. You know, not some shot in hard sunlight and a car headlight from the side, but such lighting that it's clear where the light source is. "One light source shots" could be invaluable learning for me. Light from above/below, sides, it really helps me "see".

All you would need to do is to post a picture here. Colour of black and white, up to you. I draw with pencils, and so the result will be monochrome. I would then look at it whilst drawing, take a photo of the drawing, upload to the intertubes and post it here for all to mock my abilities :) If it resembled, then that would be a win for me.

If you feel you need to know at which "stage" I am, just take a quick glance at this thread, where I've posted my drawings.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/just-fun/290390-few-drawings-me-dont-expect-much-lol.html

This is, of course, for learning purposes only, not a bad creep cover ;)

Last edited:
I'm all for supporting artists-in-training, as my son is one!
However, I HATE posting photos of myself; really, really hate it. :D

So, I was gonna say you could just use my avatar if you want. But I have a hat on in it (because my theory is that the more of my face I can cover, the better the photo is gonna be, lol).

Anyway, I realize it might be easier without the hat. So...appearing on the interwebz for the first time (except for possibly one or two other times I've posted it :lmao: ):

$profilepic.jpg
It's pretty small, but it's about all I got. Bigger res photos of me are just too scary. :lol:
Oh, and if you could draw me with a thinner neck and one less chin, that'd be great! ;)

Great! Promptly posted, I liked it! Never drawn glasses on people, LOL. Also, those curls aren't something I'm used to :p Not sure if I'll have time tonight, but by experience I have very little to do at work, so I'll draw it then, tomorrow that is. Hopefully it will be posted by the end of tomorrow :)

Thanks, btw! :D

If anyone else would honour me by letting me draw them, just post a pic, and I will get to it as soon as possible :)

Lol, I'll give it a try. Plenty of time here at work.

Nicely done, Compaq! Don't apologize--you're learning and practice really will improve your skills.
And most of the time, when I first get up in the morning, that is EXACTLY the way my hair looks! :lmao:
Now when you're rich and famous, I can say I knew you when... :D

Can't wait to see your rendition of Charlie in that hat!

Can you do kitties?

Lol Charlie that is awesome! (I have a polar bear ;) )

Compaq, it's way cool that you are sharing your new hobby with us :) many moons ago I did some drawing and had the chance to get some advice from an accomplished artist. I'm assuming your ultimate goal is photorealistic ? If so you are doing what I was doing at the start, drawing lines to define things, that's a nono ;)

I believe I saw you did some still life boxes with directional light to practice shading, that's a great way to practice... No hard lines, all shades of grey, define chin lines and lines around eyes/noses with darker shading to get definition and depth.
Not sure if you were looking for that kind of input or not but thought I'd throw it out there just in case ;)
Can't wait to see Charlie and his uber awesome hat!

Sorry if the quality is crappy. It's off of my cell phone - if its too poor I can post a better quality version.

Attachments

• $image-721753034.jpg
    $image-721753034.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 148
Lol, activity boost! At least I won't be bored the coming shifts. Thanks for participating.

Pixel, thanks for input. I know I shouldn't use lines to define edged, but I'm not sure how not to :Lol: i appreciate your help!!

Charlie, here you go ;)

67b46cdd.jpg

edit: on my iphone, the shadow by the right eye was very dark, and I thought that leopard eye was another "stripe". Kind of annoying :/

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back