Other photogs, when you see it, do you say something?

Heck yeah...........and I would say........."LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It's bad enough I work in a photo lab and see the end result of people that "Do not read their camera manual and wonder why their pictures look like crap!"

I used to work in a photolab and I often wonder if they handed their camera over to a particularly unskilled chimpanzee. But why are they printing it still?

Yes, never strangers. I see people using flash modifiers all the time, outside point up at the sky as to bounce off a cloud...I just snicker!

I have seen this a lot too. I guess I just assumed that it was a way for a photog to not futz around turning the flash on and off. I had never even considered the thought that they might actually be trying to use the light. Huh...

I used to try to help people all the time. Most of them just got pissed and defensive. The average person is pretty stupid. Leave them to their ignorance.

I have been approached by other photographers - usually when I have my tripod out and a light-meter in my hand. Otherwise I usually give them the same nod of recognition that you get between bikers on the road. If they want to talk, fine. If not, fine too. A few times I've been approached by guys with P&S cameras trying to get images in very dark places, and not being able to do so. Usually, they don't know anything about ISO or aperture, so I twirl a few dials, and voila! a decent exposure. But then I have to stop them and reset the camera otherwise everything outside will be blown.

And then.... there are the people who stop me because I don't have a UV filter on, and I'm just asking to have my lens damaged. Uh-huh.

It depends. Toronto hosts a Jazz Festival at the end of July. Thousands show up and walk along Queen St., closed to cars for many blocks. A little after dark I observed a group of women standing in a semicircle while one of the group tried to take a photo with a P&S. She aimed the camera and the red eye reduction fired, everyone laughed and she dropped her hand to her side, where the flash fired! I was so dumbfounded I didn't say anything. A few days later I was recounting the story in the office, and one of the women said that explained a lot about some of her photos! So, perhaps it helped someone.

I have been approached by other photographers - usually when I have my tripod out and a light-meter in my hand. Otherwise I usually give them the same nod of recognition that you get between bikers on the road. If they want to talk, fine. If not, fine too. A few times I've been approached by guys with P&S cameras trying to get images in very dark places, and not being able to do so. Usually, they don't know anything about ISO or aperture, so I twirl a few dials, and voila! a decent exposure. But then I have to stop them and reset the camera otherwise everything outside will be blown.

And then.... there are the people who stop me because I don't have a UV filter on, and I'm just asking to have my lens damaged. Uh-huh.

So, no one has stopped you because your flash is pointing backwards?

I'd just be amused. I do have a tripod around here somewhere that doesn't have a quick release. It's garbage. I need to get rid of it; haven't used it in forever. Maybe i'll pawn it off on some poor unsuspecting bastard. :lol:

No, but I did have some strange looks directed at me when I put a "fong" on my flash for an indoor portrait. However, no-one ever questions anything I do if I have the camera on a bracket, with the flash perched above it... It looks like some serious equipment, so they assume I know what I'm doing. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back