Outdoor Skake Park Rules

bruce282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know every place is different. I went to a local county run outdoor skate park. I asked what if any rules were in effect for taking photos. I was told to photograph minors I would need a parental consent form.

Does this sound logical? I have searched the county website any haven't come up with anything, so I guess I'll email someone in the county government to check it out.

The funny thing was just before going to the skate park I was at the multi-use field taking photos of 8-10 year olds playing football. So were other folks.

Bruce

I know every place is different. I went to a local county run outdoor skate park. I asked what if any rules were in effect for taking photos. I was told to photograph minors I would need a parental consent form.

Does this sound logical? I have searched the county website any haven't come up with anything, so I guess I'll email someone in the county government to check it out.

The funny thing was just before going to the skate park I was at the multi-use field taking photos of 8-10 year olds playing football. So were other folks.

Bruce

Hi Bruce ...
Yes, I would expect that since it is "taking pictures of minors" as you say, then it would be best to get parental approval or to get the parent to sign a "Model Release Form". Anytime I have taken shots where the face of a minor is visible, you need to be really careful.... especially if you are not affiliated with a local newspaper or taking photos at an official event.
If you are taking pics of the kids and you know them, then it shouldn't be too hard to get some approval. If they are just local kids and you don't know any of them ... I'd be a bit careful.
I know it is a bit of a hassle, but think what the hassle would be if a hyper-sensitive parent wondered what some stranger was doing taking pictures of their "Little Johnny" or "Little Jane" !!
You mentioned the football game... I would imagine that most would figure you were just another parent, taking pictures for a local papers. Also, the images are of a team sport etc. etc. ... You also don't see field sports photogs getting releases for all of their subjects ... just the way it is.
Anyways, just my $0.02....
Tim

Bruce

Whether it seems logical or not, it is legal to take photos of anyone..minor or not in a public place.

skieur

Well I not a lawyer and laws do vary by state and county. Are you sure the county runs the skate park and not a vendor? If it is a county run park them mostly likely the person is mistaking or wrongly informant by park management maybe to avoided any confided with parents. Also the park likely can restrict access to anybody than has not sign an insurance waiver. If it’s a vendor run park then there could be something in the contract that lets them resist asset.

Well I not a lawyer and laws do vary by state and county. Are you sure the county runs the skate park and not a vendor? If it is a county run park them mostly likely the person is mistaking or wrongly informant by park management maybe to avoided any confided with parents. Also the park likely can restrict access to anybody than has not sign an insurance waiver. If it’s a vendor run park then there could be something in the contract that lets them resist asset.

Laws really do not vary by state or county because state or county laws canNOT violate federal laws, rights or statutes. So unless there are signs you can take photos all you want in county or private parks untill you are told otherwise. Even then you retain all the rights to any photos you have taken.

Your only legal risk is being charged with trespassing which is unlikely if you leave voluntarily and causing a disturbance if you react in a very loud negative way to a park official etc.

skieur

Maybe not in Canada but they do and can in the US. Have you ever read US nation park photographer rules? One of the generic rules, paraphrased is that any active that interferes with the enjoyment of other guess can be resisted or require a permit by the discretion of the park manager

what about an indoor park where the owner asks you to come in and shoot? should i just carry a stack ofparental consent forms and have the kids get mommy and daddy to fill it out or have the guy at front desk get them filled out as kids come in?

Maybe not in Canada but they do and can in the US. Have you ever read US nation park photographer rules? One of the generic rules, paraphrased is that any active that interferes with the enjoyment of other guess can be resisted or require a permit by the discretion of the park manager

Those rules apply to photographic productions involving crew, equipment etc. and NOT to simple photography in the park. I have not been harassed in US national parks.

skieur

what about an indoor park where the owner asks you to come in and shoot? should i just carry a stack ofparental consent forms and have the kids get mommy and daddy to fill it out or have the guy at front desk get them filled out as kids come in?

WHY would you do that? It is not legally necessary. Use your rights OR lose them.

skieur

I have to agree with Skieur.

The Photographer's Rights - USA Dated april 11, 2010.

See Permissible Subjectssection.

Jeff Canes, I would be interested in seeing your sources for which you speak of, it would be more helpful then the paraphrasing. Thanks!

Skieur may be correct about the letter of the law regarding taking the pictures BUT you are most certainly going to need signed consents should you ever want to publish them.

If you ask me and this goes along with what Skieur said in post #9.

Asking for every parent to sign is just asking to get the entire photo shoot shut down before it's started.

Take your shots, bring a laptop and find out which ones the owner may want to use, Then hunt down those parents and see if they'll sign off on the use if need be. (That's if he plans to use them in a promotion where the shots are of individuals vs. general images of events at the park. Only get signed the kids you need to get signed.)

Commercial Filming and Still Photography Permits
Lands of the United States were set aside by Congress, Executive or otherwise acquired in order to conserve and protect areas of untold beauty and grandeur, historical importance, and uniqueness for future generations. This tradition started with explorers who traveled with paint and canvas or primitive photo apparatus before the areas were designated as a national park. The National Park Service permits commercial filming and still photography when it is consistent with the park’s mission and will not harm the resource or interfere with the visitor experience.

NPS Digest- Commercial Filming and Still Photography Permits

From the information on your link it is not to be assumed that simply taking a still photograph would interfere with the visitor experience.

Also of the 3 points for requiring said permit, the only thing that comes remotely close to requiring a permit would be the using of models but... That all depends on whether or not the the person is the subject of the photo or is just one small part of the image that as a whole is the actual photographic statement.

That is the point that would be debatable for both parks with grandeur or parks less then picturesque. What is the subject? It looks like images lacking individual subjects and proven so require no model release and no permit same as anywhere else you choose to photograph them.

Edit: (Unless you do make the individual the subject of the photograph.) Also I am unclear as to whether you would truly need a permit to take photographs of a "model" that was an unplanned "model" that was met by chance at a park. My thoughts are that you would not.

I checked and the park is run by the county. It's part of a huge rec center that includes ball fields tennis courts and mountain biking trails.

The rules for the park are posted on their website, no mention is made of photography. I guess I could just borrow my grandsons long board, wear my bike helmet and pay the admission charge and then start taking pictures.

Bruce

Most reactions

Back