P&S For Grandma

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So My grandmother wants a new digital camera. I have started reading reviews and specs on some, but I was wondering, what you think, and suggestions you have, and any personal experiences. She wants one that has menus that aren't confusing, and overall easy to use camera. I want to make sure she gets a good one, good Image quality, good high ISO, and a decent zoom. What's the best one for under $300?

Thanks alot guys, the help is much appreciated!

Canon SD range, maybe.

Big clear lcd screen, minimal buttons - but the largest you can find ... those two things will really help her enjoyment, I think.

If you think those are too small, look at the Fuji offerings or the Canon A series. Lots of choices in that price range.

Panasonic TZ5, fantastic little point and shoot with an impressive 10 times optical zoom. Rather simple to use, especially in the intelligent auto mode. In your price range. Has decent ISO performance (I still wouldn't go above 800)

man my canon elph is a great camera....ok well as far as point and shoots go....i say buy her a 5d :D hehe....its point and shoot if u put it in auto mode haha...ok no seriously though i dont know where u live but if u dont mind buying used....u may be able to buy her a dslr like an older rebel or something for the 300 pricetag....try out craigslist.com and look under photo for your area...you may be surprised...i am sometimes good luck...

man my canon elph is a great camera....ok well as far as point and shoots go....i say buy her a 5d :D hehe....its point and shoot if u put it in auto mode haha...ok no seriously though i dont know where u live but if u dont mind buying used....u may be able to buy her a dslr like an older rebel or something for the 300 pricetag....try out craigslist.com and look under photo for your area...you may be surprised...i am sometimes good luck...

I don't know about this guy's grandma, but I don't think grandmas would usually like carrying a DSLR to bingo

I don't know her age but I suspect an optical viewfinder would be good. I watch older tourists here trying to hold a camera out and compose on the LCD and it's painful to watch. Shaky hands, eyesight going, it all adds up.

So My grandmother wants a new digital camera. I have started reading reviews and specs on some, but I was wondering, what you think, and suggestions you have, and any personal experiences. She wants one that has menus that aren't confusing, and overall easy to use camera. I want to make sure she gets a good one, good Image quality, good high ISO, and a decent zoom. What's the best one for under $300?

Would she consider using film? When my grandmother asked my advice for a new camera I told her to get an 35mm Olympus Stylus zoom. Hardly any controls to mess with, and there is nothing simpler (and more forgiving of mistakes) than C41 print film dropped off at the lab. High ISO quality will be better than almost any currently available digital point-n-shoot. The only thing it's missing is instant feedback, which admittedly is a lot of fun.

If she won't use film get her a Canon Powershot or similar Nikon; whichever model fit's your budget. But really they are pretty much all the same.

I don't know her age but I suspect an optical viewfinder would be good. I watch older tourists here trying to hold a camera out and compose on the LCD and it's painful to watch. Shaky hands, eyesight going, it all adds up.
I would second that. I just watched Great Grandma at my daughter's birthday party with her digital camera someone got her last year for Christmas. After a year, she was still trying to put it to her eye.

I guess after 80some years of putting a camera to your eye, it takes a while to get use to an LCD screen.

Make sure Grandma has some way of viewing and printing the pictures. At 80 years old, the ones who got her the camera didn't think about the fact that she has no computer, no printer, or would be confused going to Walmart to use those machines.

I'd say just go for a 35mm film point and shoot and skip the digital.

I don't know about this guy's grandma, but I don't think grandmas would usually like carrying a DSLR to bingo

Haha, ya. My mom is the one buying it for her, but I am the camera guy in the house so I am researching and finding a good one for her, I told my mom that I think a d40 would be the best bet, its a little more, but it's a hell of a lot better than any point and shoot. She was like, uhhhh, nope, way too big and she would never use it. I was so disappointed. They are sooo tiny, after using my 40d, seeing a d40, it looks like a toy, and my 40d isn't even big as far as slr's go.

Would she consider using film? When my grandmother asked my advice for a new camera I told her to get an 35mm Olympus Stylus zoom. Hardly any controls to mess with, and there is nothing simpler (and more forgiving of mistakes) than C41 print film dropped off at the lab. High ISO quality will be better than almost any currently available digital point-n-shoot. The only thing it's missing is instant feedback, which admittedly is a lot of fun.

If she won't use film get her a Canon Powershot or similar Nikon; whichever model fit's your budget. But really they are pretty much all the same.
Ya she has a film camera now, so that was one thing I though of, was with digital so big now, you can get a really nice film camera for decently cheap

Ya she has a film camera now, so that was one thing I though of, was with digital so big now, you can get a really nice film camera for decently cheap, but I think she would like a digital camera since she has never had one, but the film option isn't out of the question yet.

I would second that. I just watched Great Grandma at my daughter's birthday party with her digital camera someone got her last year for Christmas. After a year, she was still trying to put it to her eye.

I guess after 80some years of putting a camera to your eye, it takes a while to get use to an LCD screen.

Make sure Grandma has some way of viewing and printing the pictures. At 80 years old, the ones who got her the camera didn't think about the fact that she has no computer, no printer, or would be confused going to Walmart to use those machines.

I'd say just go for a 35mm film point and shoot and skip the digital.
Ya, Thats one thing I forgot to put in the first post, definitely needs to have a viewfinder, I have a P&S without one and when its bright out you can't see the dam thing, plus the viewfinder is usually more accurate of what the shot will look like.

Her last years christmas present was a new computer, so she has a computer and knows how to use it. I think when we give it to her, I will go to her house and show her how to use it, and download any software that comes with it. We only live 15 minutes away from her, so if she has questions I can always go over and help her. But this film thing has really got me thinking that I should check out the film options for my price range

I don't know about your Grandma, but if she is already comfortable on the computer, skip the film.

My Grandma loves being able to shoot photos and take them to dinner or bridge on the camera and showing them off. She lives where there is snow and she won't drive or go out if the weather is even slightly icky so having to futz with film isn't going to happen some months of the year. AND she is of a generation that believes you must finish the roll before you process it...and that can take a long time! She is 94.

So far we haven't had problems not using the viewfinder and only using the lcd. These aren't stupid women and once they are shown, they pick up stuff fast, in my experience. But keep it simple, new stuff can kind of freak them out a little bit. If she's willing to accept new technology, you're golden.

Grab her one of those printers where you just stick the card in and it can print right from it so she doesn't have to go through the computer at all if she doesn't have to. Sharing photos of the grandkids, kids and family is the utmost importance to Grandparents and if they can do that as soon as said family walks out of the door - wow, they love it.

So many choices!

Most reactions

Back