Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have this bogen/manfrotto head (322RC2 Ball head):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rotto_322RC2_322RC2_Grip_Action_Ballhead.html

and these legs (3021BPRO):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tto_3021BPRO_3021BPRO_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

And I would like to have a panning head for some panoramas. Can I get a head that would mount between the two, or do you have to switch them about?

Someone in the past recommended this:
http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm
But I can't get much information about it. Would that work between the head and legs as a permanent mount, b/c I'm really not wanting to switch the heads around. I just want a panning head that will stay locked unless I need it for a panorama.

Thanks

Works perfectly. I use the setup and may be the one that recommended it in a previous post. I know that I have in one of the forums that I visit.

So you can mount it between the legs and the 322RC2 head as a permanent mount using the panning head as needed?
Did you get the PB70 or 90? And is there a difference other than wt?

So you can mount it between the legs and the 322RC2 head as a permanent mount using the panning head as needed?

Yes It is there permantly, and I got the PB70. The 90 is larger than the 70. Mibht be something to consider if you would like an extra inch or so of height added to the head, or you are using MF equipment.

Here's how I arrange things, from the top down:

nodal slide, if necessary
panoramic head
ball head, for levelling pano head
tripod

Best,
Helen

Here's how I arrange things, from the top down:

nodal slide, if necessary
panoramic head
ball head, for levelling pano head
tripod

Best,
Helen

Helen, what ball head are you using? Mine has a built in panning base. If I am wanting to do some true Pano shots I remove my 322 head altogether, attach the nodal slide to the panning head and level with the leveling head on my tripod legs.

If I was using my ball head I would just add the nodal slide to the top and still level with the leveling head and skip the panning head altogether. One less thing to mess with, unless your ball head does not have the panning option. Just curious.

Helen, what ball head are you using? Mine has a built in panning base. If I am wanting to do some true Pano shots I remove my 322 head altogether, attach the nodal slide to the panning head and level with the leveling head on my tripod legs...

That's effectively what I'm doing, except that the ball head is taking the place of the levelling head. I use a Burzynski ball head, which fixes straight in to the top of a Gitzo, replacing the centre column. The Burzynski is quite squat, and it has restricted angular movement so it is half way between a levelling bowl and a normal ball head. The key to both our systems is that the plane of rotation is level: there is a leveller between the top of the tripod and the pano plate. You wouldn't have that if you mounted a pano plate straight onto the 3021B Pro, would you?

Best,
Helen

That's effectively what I'm doing, except that the ball head is taking the place of the levelling head. I use a Burzynski ball head, which fixes straight in to the top of a Gitzo, replacing the centre column. The Burzynski is quite squat, and it has restricted angular movement so it is half way between a levelling bowl and a normal ball head. The key to both our systems is that the plane of rotation is level: there is a leveller between the top of the tripod and the pano plate. You wouldn't have that if you mounted a pano plate straight onto the 3021B Pro, would you?

Best,
Helen

I am actually mounting the pano base onto the 3021 legs. I replaced the center column with the leveling center column. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nfrotto_555B_555B_Leveling_Center_Column.html
put the pano base on the legs and the 322 head on the pano base. It raises the head a bit, but he 322 is a squat ball head being as it has the side grip on it instead of the standard ball head configuration.

I checked out the Burzynski head. That is squat and massive isn't it. What Gitzo legs have you got that on? It looks pretty big from the photo in the article I found.

I've got it on the GT3540 legs. It fits directly into the top of the legs.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back