Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I'm envious @waday, thank you for sharing these - looking forward to more.

I find that I don't have near enough time to draw, or photograph, every day. I'm trying to get something every couple of weeks.

Here's some student work. I had to do the same still life using multiple methods; all are india ink, 9"x12", 2007.
Thank you! I’m looking forward to posting more on here and seeing your and Terri’s posts. Any others that decide to post.

I agree on the time! That’s why I like the daily challenge. I take my lunch break, and if I have to, I’ll have it spill over into after dinner. But I’m trying to keep it to no more than 30 minutes.

I like the ink wash with pen outline!

Today’s lunch break, very fluffy bumblebee:

Wow! Your bee is awesome!

So, pen...is that similar to drawing pencils, with different ones offering varying degrees of depth to achieve the tonal range in these sketches?

Like Charlie's ink work, I am impressed by your ability to sketch things out without need of an eraser. I always sketch in soft pastel or light graphite, anything that allows me to make corrections. Like, lots of corrections. :icon_mrgreen:

After two different eye doctors dilating my pupils this afternoon, I'm in no mood to draw, so here's another student work. This is one of my favorite assignments - an attempt at trompe-l'œil, where you (try to) add a realistic element that give's a 3-D feel.

The first is the concept - a previously drawn still life in charcoal, and the D40 painted in acrylic as the 3-D punch element.
DSC_3108.jpg

The final came out pretty decent, I think, but time has taken it's toll on the unprotected charcoal. I may attempt to restore the charcoal part.
DSC_3113.jpg

Wow! Your bee is awesome!

So, pen...is that similar to drawing pencils, with different ones offering varying degrees of depth to achieve the tonal range in these sketches?

Like Charlie's ink work, I am impressed by your ability to sketch things out without need of an eraser. I always sketch in soft pastel or light graphite, anything that allows me to make corrections. Like, lots of corrections. :icon_mrgreen:
Thank you, Terri! :02.47-tranquillity:

Regarding the pen, kinda.... they have different size tips. The pack I just bought has the following tips: 005, 01, 03, 05, and 08 (corresponding to .2, .25, .35, .45, and .5 mm). I also have a few pens that are a few years old (that I used on the cookie), and the largest I have of that I think is 1 mm. See the picture below--they should be in descending tip size order.

If I want a more defined line or border, I'll probably use the larger tips. But, I tend to use lines, and the quantity of them, to determine how I want it to look. So, for example, I used a single pen for the cookie. (I used a single pen because that's all I could find in the house, and it was like several years old. LOL) However, I did just recently buy a pack of new ones. The new ones are Prismacolor, but I'll be happy to move back to Sakura. Not sure why I tend to prefer the Sakura, but I do?

Thank you for your kind words about not needing an eraser. I actually find the ability to erase a hindrance, just like backspace key on the keyboard. If I have the ability to erase, I will never get anywhere until it's "perfect" in my eyes. So, simple things can take hours or span multiple days. In some instances, I stopped drawing, because I got frustrated. Which is probably why I haven't picked up a pen/pencil/art media for some time...

However, not having an eraser tends to "free me", and I have to "just go with it". If I screw something up, sometimes I'm able to fix the problem, other times I can't. Sometimes I can live with the error; other times I rip the paper out, crumple it up, and curse the heavens. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me understand this, about working with ink. The size of the tip of the pen makes perfect sense. I only understood drawing pencils when I bought a cheap set and played with the soft-to-hard quality of the graphite.

Your points about working without an eraser are spot on to me. I do tend to take longer getting the "best" possible sketch I can, rather than jump in and sketch out an OP painting with just OP's. Maybe that's something that will improve over time, dunno. A sketch that used to take me most of a day has whittled down considerably.

Love the cone! :)

I recall pens like those used in drafting, where you are always working with different line weights (width).

Yes, love the cone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back