Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

That middle flower is awesome!!! Beautiful work! It really looks 3D.

Okay. The stems...@snowbear might be better suited for a reply here, because I tend to struggle with this, too. But since you're not going for realism, I'm not convinced it matters all that much. Here, the visual impact of the flower is what grabs the eye.

But, I know what you're asking. It could look in better proportion if maybe the very top of the stem was less thin stem, and more pedicel. (Yes, I had to look that up.) The pedicel is the top part of the stem that widens out into a V-shape, and that thicker visual effect might be enough.

I've played with having stems come from the sides of the flower, too, to be able to add some length.

I'd look at a lot of photo references, too, for placement ideas. But again...it's not for realism! The gorgeous flower is the star.
I tried drawing different stems on the photo to see what angle and thickness looked best and I think it’s not just the stem but the angle of the flower that is throwing it off for me. The pov of the flower head comes through as straight on instead of slightly angled - it doesn’t fit with with the angle at the top of the stem. It’s just a nit pick. I’m very happy with the way things are going with this medium! Princess is home for the long Easter weekend, so my temporary studio is unavailable lol. Will have to wait to get back to it next week.

Princess is back at school. I’m back in my “studio”. I think I’m finally getting some control over the ink. I’m happy with these. And they were done on the back of some other stuff so very economical. I tried a landscape and it came out ok but couldn’t get a good photo of it. Will try again tomorrow. I’m heading for the couch.

IMG_7354.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

Was just messing around on a scrap of paper and decided to give my northern lights idea a trial run. The trees are a bit wonky but this paper was so small it was impossible to give them any real detail.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Was just messing around on a scrap of paper and decided to give my northern lights idea a trial run. The trees are a bit wonky but this paper was so small it was impossible to give them any real detail.

View attachment 273200
I'm just now seeing this. The colors are beautiful! This is regular watercolor? I like it- has almost an abstract feel.

I'm just now seeing this. The colors are beautiful! This is regular watercolor? I like it- has almost an abstract feel.
Alcohol inks! It’s an idea I was planning to try in watercolor but I had the inks out already so I gave it a shot. I’ll try it again on the larger piece over the weekend.

I started this other abstract landscape and have been afraid to finish it. I like the way the sky and the waterfall in the mountains came out and I need to add some details but afraid to ruin it. I did a trial run painting in the details using the iPhone app just to decide where I want to put things so the second picture is a rough idea of what I might do. Would love your input.

29C99E0B-FA61-4D82-9825-E62BD4FBA7A9.jpeg

BD9F0C53-C4E6-4EF2-9770-AB82AF6EE1A2.jpeg

Nice. I did a pencil sketch of the Aurora; it was ultimately put on the back of a jean jacket in acrylic.

What awesome colors. This looks great! I think what you worked out on the ipad will work just fine - just keep the trees vertical. I think the birds are a great touch.

How will you add these details? I know that @snowbear uses ink lines for details in his watercolors - would that work here? I'm personally afraid of ink, but must say it looks fantastic in watercolors. (I know this isn't WC per se but the effect is similar.)

What awesome colors. This looks great! I think what you worked out on the ipad will work just fine - just keep the trees vertical. I think the birds are a great touch.

How will you add these details? I know that @snowbear uses ink lines for details in his watercolors - would that work here? I'm personally afraid of ink, but must say it looks fantastic in watercolors. (I know this isn't WC per se but the effect is similar.)

I have some alcohol ink markers to use but limited colors and the tip is not fine enough for the small trees in the background. I’ll probably use straight ink and a micro paintbrush - they’re like mini q-tips with tiny heads. For anything black I can use my micron pens or post a paint pen. Same for white I can use gel pen or post a pen.

A micron pen should work - do they make any colors other than black? Anothwr option might be water soluble pencil (but very sharp).

One of these, a holder, and some acrylic ink (various colors available). Restricted Access 2023

Thinned acrylic paints should work with a very fine (#00 or such) brush.

I ended wising inks and the black pics pen. I feel like it’s lacking something but I resisted the urge to add more. Going to step away from this one for a while. Feedback and critique welcome.

IMG_7398.jpeg

Feeling blue today 😉. Asked on my local Buy Nothing Facebook group and received 14 8x8 ceramic tiles. Painted the first one today. The ink really moves nicely in the tiles!!
IMG_7407.jpeg

Not a tile.
IMG_7408.jpeg

I decided that landscape just needed a crop.

IMG_7397.jpeg

Looks good. I'm going to force myself to do something this week. Any challege themes?

Most reactions

Back