What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Painted over that flower and vase mess again. And then again. Here’s where I ended up. Not quite as abstract as I’d wanted but I like it well enough. I think this canvas is done for unless I get out the sander.


IMG_4690.webp
 
Drawing class over the weekend. Still lifes are not for me! Better to know now after a weekend class than 3 weeks into a 10 week program. First time using charcoal. Not a fan of the mess.

View attachment 289868

View attachment 289869
I like these! I took an online drawing class some time back and also suffered through still lifes. These are nicely grouped and shaped.

I'm with ya on the charcoal, though. I don't mind a little mess but it somehow gets everywhere and seems harder to get off. I like graphite pencils. I think Charlie is the one who talked about the various softness and grades, and I think they're easier. Plus - they succumb to an eraser! :boogie:

Love that painting!!
 
Some recent paintings.
Acrylic on canvas. Painted this for my dining room. Not sure if it’s wall worthy… I’ve got it hanging up there now but I see a few things I might want to fuss with. Resisting the urge so far!
IMG_4998.webp


This is something I painted as part of a monthly challenge in a Facebook group I’m in. Everyone paints from the same photo - any medium. This is acrylics on a canvas board.

IMG_4999.webp


This is a watercolor I just finished. It’s not quite dry yet. Hoping that watercolor magic happens overnight - IYKYK!

IMG_5001.webp
 
Some recent paintings.
Acrylic on canvas. Painted this for my dining room. Not sure if it’s wall worthy… I’ve got it hanging up there now but I see a few things I might want to fuss with. Resisting the urge so far!
View attachment 290364

This is something I painted as part of a monthly challenge in a Facebook group I’m in. Everyone paints from the same photo - any medium. This is acrylics on a canvas board.

View attachment 290365

This is a watercolor I just finished. It’s not quite dry yet. Hoping that watercolor magic happens overnight - IYKYK!

View attachment 290366
Nice work- all of it! You've been busy! I'd leave that pretty blue acrylic alone and see if it settles for you. Only you know the areas that are still catching your eye. ;)

Pretty little church scene, and more challenging than it looks at first glance, with all the shadows and those sloping lines. Nice job!

What canvas board did you use? The last time I painted on one it buckled. :irked: Pretty sure it was a Blick brand.

I love this watercolor! Very lively and fun. I hope it gives you the magic you're looking for. ✨️
 
Nice work- all of it! You've been busy! I'd leave that pretty blue acrylic alone and see if it settles for you. Only you know the areas that are still catching your eye. ;)

Pretty little church scene, and more challenging than it looks at first glance, with all the shadows and those sloping lines. Nice job!

What canvas board did you use? The last time I painted on one it buckled. :irked: Pretty sure it was a Blick brand.

I love this watercolor! Very lively and fun. I hope it gives you the magic you're looking for. ✨️
Thanks Terri. I got the board at Michael’s - I’m pretty sure it’s their in house Artists Loft brand. I can’t imagine it buckling, it’s pretty stiff. They had a buy one get two free sale on all canvases a couple of months ago so I stocked up before that last class that I took.
 
Thanks Terri. I got the board at Michael’s - I’m pretty sure it’s their in house Artists Loft brand. I can’t imagine it buckling, it’s pretty stiff. They had a buy one get two free sale on all canvases a couple of months ago so I stocked up before that last class that I took.
You know, buckling was the wrong term - they were warped after I used them. Like, bowed. I used acrylic that I'd thinned with water and am wondering if the water was the culprit. Still, I didn't use much, which is why I wondered.

Yes, I think Artists Loft is the Michael's brand. Some of my favorite brushes are Artists Loft.
 
Gave the bitches watercolor another try. The light is much better on this one, but I don’t like composition. The base of the center tree is too wide and awkward and too much lean on the tree on the left. I’ll probably try this one at least once more.

IMG_5020.webp
 
Gave the bitches watercolor another try. The light is much better on this one, but I don’t like composition. The base of the center tree is too wide and awkward and too much lean on the tree on the left. I’ll probably try this one at least once more.

View attachment 290408
Well, it's not bothering me, but I do love how you're doing this scene, so sure - do another one! ;)

Are you sketching your compositions in advance?
 
Well, it's not bothering me, but I do love how you're doing this scene, so sure - do another one! ;)

Are you sketching your compositions in advance?
Not sketching them in advance but I’m masking out the trees with tape so I can plan and see the composition in advance.

Here’s another. I’m happy with this one overall. I still need to work on preserving the light. This one I wanted to make more of a landscape scene than just about the trees. I used bolder colors - some of the watercolor paint was straight out of the tube to make the “leaves” pop. Added shadows to the front trees and some fuzzy background trees for depth. I still suck at painting paths unless I have a reference photo but I’ll keep practicing. Sorry for spamming you guys with all my paintings!

IMG_5051.webp
 
Not sketching them in advance but I’m masking out the trees with tape so I can plan and see the composition in advance.

Here’s another. I’m happy with this one overall. I still need to work on preserving the light. This one I wanted to make more of a landscape scene than just about the trees. I used bolder colors - some of the watercolor paint was straight out of the tube to make the “leaves” pop. Added shadows to the front trees and some fuzzy background trees for depth. I still suck at painting paths unless I have a reference photo but I’ll keep practicing. Sorry for spamming you guys with all my paintings!

View attachment 290424

#1 You're NOT spamming us - this is the art thread here in the Creative Corner, so we get to do what we want!

#2 Wow - now you're cooking! I love the bold orange with the yellow-green. Terrific. The little suggestion of distant trees adds depth. All your proportions are working here. Mmmwah! (kissing the air)

I love Birch trees, so you could do a whole series and I'd be cheering you on. :lol:
 
This thread was created for sharing paintings and drawings - keep them coming.

Stuck in MD without any supplies so I'm contemplating some digital, which I've never done.
 
This thread was created for sharing paintings and drawings - keep them coming.

Stuck in MD without any supplies so I'm contemplating some digital, which I've never done.
I wouldn't even know where to start! Don't you need some kind of program?

If anyone can get something interesting from it, you can! Or, you know, a cheap sketch pad and a beginner's set of colored pencils. :biggrinangelA:
 
I wouldn't even know where to start! Don't you need some kind of program?

If anyone can get something interesting from it, you can! Or, you know, a cheap sketch pad and a beginner's set of colored pencils. :biggrinangelA:
I have a couple options. I have the Photography subscription to Adobe which includes Photoshop. There is also the Paint app in Windows. On the iPad there's a basic sketch app called Freeform that works with the stylus. I'm leaning towards PS because of the layering.

I could go ahead and get a cheap sketch pad and kid's 8-color watercolor set from someplace. I don't want to spend any real money at the moment.
 
More birch trees. Think this one needs a silhouette figure on the path? Thoughts on using the colors for the tree bark instead of black/payne’s grey?

IMG_5117.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom