What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I like it; not "overdone".

Many years ago I did a painting of a hockey goalie in mask. I painted a little red on one side of the white mask and blue on the other. Just a little coming in from the edges (a bit like chromatic abberation).
 
Last edited:
More birch trees. Think this one needs a silhouette figure on the path? Thoughts on using the colors for the tree bark instead of black/payne’s grey?

View attachment 290521

The slight amount of color you added only adds to the prettiness! Not overdone at all.

I think a mysterious silhouette figure would be cool. Did you leave room in the path?
 
I was thinking of something like this. This wasn’t painted, I just sketched it in using the photos app. Not sure if the perspective is quite right?

IMG_5117.webp
 
Last edited:
I was thinking of something like this. This wasn’t painted, I just sketched it in using the photos app. Not sure if the perspective is quite right?

View attachment 290523
Looks good to me! Perfect placement, too.

Just a small added element, but now you've created a story within a lovely scene, as opposed to a lovely scene.
 
I'm reminded of this oil pastel painting I did a few years ago on an art forum. Several of us were painting from a photo showing this big open sky and a country road, with the building in the background.

I liked the sky in the reference photo because it reminded me of a Polaroid. :lol: But there wasn't any action, so I added the small figure in the pasture, facing the road, as in waiting for something.

It becomes more interesting when there's a little storyline and adding people or a solo person can do just the trick.

20190918_110150.webp


I may have posted this before, too. No idea, it was just an exercise at the time.
 
I'm reminded of this oil pastel painting I did a few years ago on an art forum. Several of us were painting from a photo showing this big open sky and a country road, with the building in the background.

I liked the sky in the reference photo because it reminded me of a Polaroid. :lol: But there wasn't any action, so I added the small figure in the pasture, facing the road, as in waiting for something.

It becomes more interesting when there's a little storyline and adding people or a solo person can do just the trick.

View attachment 290551

I may have posted this before, too. No idea, it was just an exercise at the time.

Love this. The cool mountains in the background and the warm foreground are great together. I agree, the person waiting elevates it into more of a story than a pretty landscape.
 
I got my care package last night, from Walmart. They substituted the 16-color set for the 8-color set I ordered.
IMG_2839.webp

A quick sketch as a possible part of the wall at my drawing table. I am thinking of doing a triptyk. The GBH likes to hang out in our pond, 10 or 15 yards from the dock. I'll reposition the bird so I can get the reflection and throw some paint in it this week.
IMG_2838.webp
 
Last edited:
I got my care package last night, from Walmart. They substituted the 16-color set for the 8-color set I ordered.
View attachment 290697

A quick sketch as a possible part of the wall at my drawing table. I am thinking of doing a triptyk. The GBH likes to hang out in our pond, 10 or 15 yards from the dock. I'll reposition the bird so I can get the reflection and throw some paint in it this week.
View attachment 290698
Nice! You're lucky to have the GBH so close to your deck. Great project!
 
Dock or pier. The deck is around 200 feet from the water. I walked down to the big rock for the shot. Still, nice to watch them come and go.
 
Dock or pier. The deck is around 200 feet from the water. I walked down to the big rock for the shot. Still, nice to watch them come and go.
Oops, I misread it - you did say dock. :lol:
 
No problem.
 
I got a little paint on some paper. Doodlewash has daily challenges; the one form a few days ago was "Lantern."

Basic outline sketched in pencil, a couple layers in the cheap watercolors. A few mistakes but it's something.

cmw3_iP12m_IMG_2842.webp
 
I got a little paint on some paper. Doodlewash has daily challenges; the one form a few days ago was "Lantern."

Basic outline sketched in pencil, a couple layers in the cheap watercolors. A few mistakes but it's something.

View attachment 290830
Love it! Nice work on the lantern and glow. I hope you were having fun doing it!
 
Thank you, I did have a good time. It just took me a while to start it; been a little nuts around here. I didn't use a model or reference photo, just going from memory. We had a number of them in the house when I was younger.

These brushes are super cheap, so they are destined to the model car/plane hobby. I tried to pull the plastic sleeve off one of the rounds and the whole ferrule popped off the handle. A spot of epoxy will keep it on.

My latest acquisitions arrived yesterday. One is a fabric soft roll for a dozen brushes, and the other a little alabaster carving (realling filing and sanding) kit. How could I possibly resist this? I saw it a couple years ago but just figured I'd wait. I saw it last week while Windows shopping for oils and brushes, with a note that they have been discontinued and Blick had a limited supply. MLSIL gave me a Blick gift card for my birthday, so ...

IMG_2845.webp
 
Thank you, I did have a good time. It just took me a while to start it; been a little nuts around here. I didn't use a model or reference photo, just going from memory. We had a number of them in the house when I was younger.

These brushes are super cheap, so they are destined to the model car/plane hobby. I tried to pull the plastic sleeve off one of the rounds and the whole ferrule popped off the handle. A spot of epoxy will keep it on.

My latest acquisitions arrived yesterday. One is a fabric soft roll for a dozen brushes, and the other a little alabaster carving (realling filing and sanding) kit. How could I possibly resist this? I saw it a couple years ago but just figured I'd wait. I saw it last week while Windows shopping for oils and brushes, with a note that they have been discontinued and Blick had a limited supply. MLSIL gave me a Blick gift card for my birthday, so ...

View attachment 290845
That's right up your alley! Glad you were able to snag it.

I've had issues with the ferrules on cheap brushes coming out with wet paint on the brush! I curse cheap brushes, but of course it's still better to keep them around. Not everything we do is precious enough for those high-dollar ones.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom