PC Build for editing & storage

Make sure your case is big enough for a third hard drive (and your P/W has a enough nads to drive it). Get a second 2tb. or even a 3tb. A slow one cheap one.

And install a sync program to keep your data drive synced to it at all times (one way, data drive is master).

And I'd get a nice big 30" dell or apple cinema monitor. We have them at work, and the next workstation I buildfor myself, I'm definitely getting one. However, they have specific video board requirements (2550x1600 resolution) is DOUBLE CHANNEL DVI (or whatever they call it). The monitor should last 10 years so the $1200 cost isn't that bad.

I would get the "K" model i7 3770 and overclock it, that would help with your video encoding.

I don't plan on doing any video editing at this time. The PC will be mostly for editing and storage of pictures. I also need to figure what the best way to backup my pictures. I'm thinking of getting a second hard drive and probably burning pictures to CD after any session.

Now to learn how to use PS Elements.

I would get the "K" model i7 3770 and overclock it, that would help with your video encoding.

What about a i7 Extreme? wouldn't that be better with multi tasking since it has more cores and threads?

It sure would be better but the LGA 2011 X processors alone cost almost $1,100 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 150W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73970X

The 3770 V the 3770K is only a $30 difference and well worth it for the overclocking boost.

cgipson1 said:
I would add a decent video card to that list! ;)

Any minimum specs I should be looking at? I was under the impression that since I don't plan on doing any video editing I would be ok without one.

Are you going to be using photoshop? If so, a decent video card will help with some things... as Photoshop will use hardware acceleration

View attachment 32846

do u know if photoshop will utilize a cross fire setup? ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back