PC vs MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
rexbobcat said:
lol from my experience $600 is not very cheap. XD

For a Mac..mini yup.

Village Idiot said:
No they don't. To run Windows and OS X at the same time, you need a program like parallels or crossover that's a 3rd party piece of software that doesn't come preinstalled on OS X. It is harder to build a Hackintosh, but don't say it can't be done.

This is not true. To run windows you use bootcamp (a pre installed app on osx). Because the new macs are intel based they can run windows no problem at all. All you do is partition a section of your hard drive for the windows based operating system. Bootcamp allows you to switch between mac osx and windows by holding the option key down during start up. It's really very easy to do too.

I was always a pc user but bought a mac about 6 years ago and I too was worried about making the switch. Therefore I installed a windows on a small partition of my hard drive just in case I needed it. Can honestly say I think I used it twice in 6 years. Mac takes a bit of getting used to.... Especially having no right mouse button. But it's just a diff way of doing things. In my opinion it's a much better user experience. I realise it's not for everyone tho! My gf hates it because she uses a pc at work every day and finds it annoying that it's different to what she is used to.

Cheers and hope you get what's right for you

Rich

Village Idiot said:
No they don't. To run Windows and OS X at the same time, you need a program like parallels or crossover that's a 3rd party piece of software that doesn't come preinstalled on OS X. It is harder to build a Hackintosh, but don't say it can't be done.

This is not true. To run windows you use bootcamp (a pre installed app on osx). Because the new macs are intel based they can run windows no problem at all. All you do is partition a section of your hard drive for the windows based operating system. Bootcamp allows you to switch between mac osx and windows by holding the option key down during start up. It's really very easy to do too.

I was always a pc user but bought a mac about 6 years ago and I too was worried about making the switch. Therefore I installed a windows on a small partition of my hard drive just in case I needed it. Can honestly say I think I used it twice in 6 years. Mac takes a bit of getting used to.... Especially having no right mouse button. But it's just a diff way of doing things. In my opinion it's a much better user experience. I realise it's not for everyone tho! My gf hates it because she uses a pc at work every day and finds it annoying that it's different to what she is used to.

Cheers and hope you get what's right for you

Rich

What no right mouse button. They have no mouse buttons at all on the Magic Mouse, the OEM mouse for an apple computer these days. Personally I prefer the Magic trackpad on the iMac and took the Magic mouse and carry it with the MPB.
They do have a full right click menu as well. Since the magic mouse has no buttons at all some people have not figured out that there is a right click menu.

As for boot camp, it is alright, but if you are going to seriously run windows and OSX at the same time then Parallels is the way to go. Allows you to run both operating systems at the same time. With programs that read the same files you can even drag and drop between the two. I often build presentations in Keynote in OSX then drop it into Powerpoint in Windows to test the presentation before I use it. At work all the machines are windows so I want to make sure it will run in 2003-2007 PP atmosphere since we are a bit behind the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back