• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gishh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello.

I will soon be purchasing my first DSLR and have narrowed my choice to the above two cameras...

Pentax K50: I have an old vintage lens from my dad (smc m 50mm f.1.7) I'd like to be able to use, and I like the cameras durability, built in stability, and photo quality)

Nikon D3300: More mainstream lenses and info because it is popular, nice user-interface for beginners

It may be silly, but a big factor for me is the one colour filter effect software on these canera. I have seen many examples of 'selective colour effect' on the Nikon and it looks amazing and really easy. I can't find any real info on if the Pentax can do this well, I know it has some similar digital filter.

Can someone tell me about the pentax one colour effect (black and white photo, keeping one colour), is it as striking as the Nikon version of this?

Also, any practical advice or recommendation on which of the cameras I should get would be appreciated!

I can only speak to the D3300 (since thats what I own) and its a great camera. A few things to note, the built in effects are ok but the real issue that the tiny screen size makes it hard to prof the image in the camera like you can on a computer screen. For this reason I add most of my effects on the computer in post. With the 3300 you can get the external wifi chip (or spring for the 5500 which has it built in, a refurb 5500 will cost about the same as a new 3300). With the wifi chip you can dump right onto your phone and use what ever editing app you may want and post right to your social media of choice.

I would not buy a camera just because you have an old lens that will fit on it. If you had maybe a whole collection of lenses for a given mount that may drive a decision but a single lens less so (unless its some kind of priceless lens etc.) Keep in mind that all Nikon's have the F-Mount and just about every nikon lens ever made (since '56) will fit on every nikon body. In the same vain I would not necessarily by the camera for a single internal effect it has in its software. That may be subject to change with a firmware upgrade or the like (although I doubt it would).

You will be able to find plenty of praise on both cameras as well as plenty of criticism but in the end try and get to a camera store and test them out. On some level it will come down to which camera YOU like best we can all only voice our opinions. My D3300 has treated me well and I like the flexibility/availability I have found in the Nikon F-Mount, the availability of used lenses is limitless basically. In the same regard there are lots of pentax lenses out there but I dont use that mount so ill refrain from commenting to much on it.

Regards
Dave

It may be silly, but a big factor for me is the one colour filter effect software on these canera.

latest

Any good piece of editing software will do the same thing and unless you are just going to shoot a bunch of snap shots only to have them take up space on a hard drive you will want editing software.

you're gonna wander down the deep on of being stuck with a Pentax just to use a cruddy old lens worth not even $100?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back