Pet peeve... anyone with me on this? (Crappy pics with sigs on them)

No, I was just using bad HDRs as an example. I take a lot of crappy photos, but I don't post them and I certainly don't sig them.

. So is it crappy HDR photos with a border and a signature that really sets you off?

I agree with you Maniac. It also bugs me when people take a photograph of two distant people in a field and call it a portrait or when they photograph someone on a white background and call it high key. People need to understand what they are talking about or at least ask.

No, I was just using bad HDRs as an example. I take a lot of crappy photos, but I don't post them and I certainly don't sig them.

. So is it crappy HDR photos with a border and a signature that really sets you off?

There is an old saying - "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Just because you don't like someone's photo and feel it should not contain a frame etc. doesn't mean the person who took it feels that way about it. It's quite possible that something you have posted here that you felt was a good photo was considered by someone else to be a "crappy photo" also....;)

if someone likes a pic they take, i just dont see the harm in taking pride in it.

I agree with the last few posters.
Irritating, annoying and so on has never crossed my mind when seeing people's photos in their sigs

if someone likes a pic they take, i just dont see the harm in taking pride in it.
pride is exactly what its all about. obviously, one wouldn't post the photo if they thought it was crap (unless they are posting asking: "this is a bad photo, what can I do to fix it?").

get over it, one day they may be better than you. we all have to take steps to get where we want to be, some are just able to run faster than others.

now, i personally don't like borders, but that is a whole different story.

So I take it this is just too terrible to look at...
IMG_0628.jpg

I don't think its about one being better than someone else.

Instead of thinking one is better, one is worse, putting people at different levels, I like to think that, for this discussion, people are simply different. They have different levels of expertise, different expected results, different methods to work, different opinions, and its about understanding that they there are many types of photography, not just good or bad.

Hahaha clearly you are trying to indirectly say that I posted a crappy photo. Do share, please.

I've not posted anything with a signature on it. This isn't about crappy photos, but crappy photos with sigs. Some even post a crappy photo with a sig (which is half fine) if you aren't sure if it's good, why put a signature on it? That's another level of this.

There is an old saying - "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Just because you don't like someone's photo and feel it should not contain a frame etc. doesn't mean the person who took it feels that way about it. It's quite possible that something you have posted here that you felt was a good photo was considered by someone else to be a "crappy photo" also....;)

Last edited:
Exactly. If they're asking for critique and are learning that's one thing. But once you put your signature on your picture, you're pretty much dismissing any advancement. (which is fine if your picture is fine) but if it's a totally bad photo, then that's a different story.

Again this has nothing to do with being arrogant, or amount of money put into gear. as I said before, you can take totally awesome pics with a $3 disposable camera.

People use really expensive gear for the sake of using expensive gear, rush their photography (literally) and post the same photos over and over without improvement and WITH signatures.

Again I would post examples, but that'd be rude. Imagine terribly overexposed pictures with lots of blown highlights taken in the bright sun, tilted, out of focus with a signature "JOE BLOW PHOTOGRAPHY"

I'm sure you've seen em :er:

Again I don't know why alot of you are getting defensive... I didn't say it was any of you did I?

Shouldn't we all encourage eachother to keep advancing our skill? That's precisely what I'm trying to do.

I agree with you Maniac. It also bugs me when people take a photograph of two distant people in a field and call it a portrait or when they photograph someone on a white background and call it high key. People need to understand what they are talking about or at least ask.

Most reactions

Back