Photo Printing Services

Helixed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I had my senior pictures taken last fall. The photographer who took them gave me a CD with all of the pictures on them and then skipped town. I have Photoshopped all of the pictures myself, and I am now ready to order prints. Here's my dilemma: the pictures I have received from other students in my class all measure 6 cm x 8.5 cm, or 2 3/8 in x 3 3/8 inches. Every photo printing website I've been to all measure their wallets a 2 " x 3". As the first size seems to be standard for senior pictures, does anybody know a website I could have these pictures printed at this size?

Thank you,

Helixed

By saying your images are 6 cm x 8.5 cm actually means nothing. You need to look at the number of pixels you have or provide the ppi setting along with the size.

You should be able to crop the images to the correct size yourself.

I'm not talking about the ratio of the sides of the pictures or the resolution. I'm talking about the physical sizes of the print, as in what they measure. I can't seem to find a photography site which will print the images in the size i specified.

Helixed

Everyone prints at 300dpi. Printing companies don't print on inkjets, they print on lightjets or dye-subs, which print at 300dpi. So you just need to resize, and make sure it's a size they accept, at 300dpi.

I'm not talking about the ratio of the sides of the pictures or the resolution. I'm talking about the physical sizes of the print, as in what they measure. I can't seem to find a photography site which will print the images in the size i specified.

Helixed

OK so you are talking about actual prints that you have scanned?

Everyone prints at 300dpi. Printing companies don't print on inkjets, they print on lightjets or dye-subs, which print at 300dpi. So you just need to resize, and make sure it's a size they accept, at 300dpi.

Not quite correct.

Firstly dpi is a measure of output (as you state many printers print at 300dpi). My printer prints at 5760dpi (most inkjet now print at very high resolutions).

The image that is being edited however is measured in pixels so you need to resize to a certain ppi (pixels per inch). This is different from dpi although both are often confused and the general term that seems to be getting used is now dpi (although that is technically wrong).

Also you do not need to resize to 300ppi. You can get very acceptable prints (in fact almost indistinguishable) at lower ppi settings. I regularly send prints at 240ppi and less.

Print size = No of pixels divided by the resolution (ppi)

Helixed

i think i know what you mean - the images are a certain size (whether it's pixels, inches or cms) but they're not the same size that a printer lists eg 6x4 inches or 8x6 inches??

You have 3 options
  • print according one side and the other dimension will be cropped to suit
  • have the image distorted by the printer to ensure that the whole image is printed on the paper
  • add a matt yourself on photoshop to make the image plus matt a standard size.

If you've photoshopped the images then i'll assume your proficient with the program.
Open a canvas at 300dpi for the size of print you want eg 8x6inch=2400x1800 pixels.
then copy and paste the photograph onto it.
You can be fancy and add titles or other edgings but that's the jist of it.

If, when you copy and paste the image onto your blank canvas you think it's too small, then undo it and make the photo bigger by using the image size. If you want to increase by quite a lot eg more than around 25% I'd recommend doing it in several small steps rather than one large step. The reason is that a small step has more pixels for PS to interpolate relative to the increase than it does with a large step so you should get a better final result.

If all the images are the same size then set up an action for it then go make a cup of tea!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back