Photographers United

I think too much modding has taken things to where they are now though.

Like what's the point in saying what you actually think, if you're gonna get deleted.

censorship at it's finest.

that said, some people don't know when to shut up (myself included) and they should at least get the ban hammer.

Free speech is cool man, but all too often I see threads get locked, because two people get into an ego fight, and most of the time it is not the OP involved. There can be a way of modding, and a way of over modding. (hows that for bad grammer):lmao:

:chatty::violin:

Gosh, I'm so torn between which one of this smilies to use for this thread....I decided to post 'em both!

:er:

Yeah, there are still some ok people here, but the forum has lost its mood.....my opinion only.

The forum can be better. There are a few things that need some tweaking and Im sure it could be the way it was, but I am not one to say anything.
Yeah, well....except dropping these bits of napalm over the forum do very little to improve whatever "happy" mood seems to be lost here, and only drags us down.

Bace, you gotta lotta nerve complaining about over-moderation, back when yer own butt was being saved in the name of tolerance. I'm disappointed. :meh:

In fact, a lot of the comments in here disappoint me. Forum cliques come and go. That's the nature of the beast. You wanna live in the past, go right ahead, but on the face of things, very little has actually changed at TPF. The names may change, but the song remains the same!

What, after all, is really missing from the TPF of 2003 onward, to the current TPF?

Let's see:

Cliques of friends who encourage each other's photography and enjoy one another's banter? Check.

"Silly game" threads, just for fun and laughs? Check.

Forum trolls who delight in signing on and pissing people off? Check.

The ability to place said trolls on one's Ignore list, and carry on? Check.

TPF meetups? Check.

If moderators step into every little spat, we're told we're too heavy-handed. If we edit comments by Green Meanies, we're called Nazis for stamping out "free speech". If we stay out of things and count on our members to self-moderate (as in, report offensive threads, PM a mod or put their favorite idiot on Ignore) then we hear there are somehow certain sets of rules for some people but not others - favoritism.

Ya can't win. :lol:

Please understand the moderators see a lot and do a lot. But as stated in the FAQ's, we can't be everywhere and see everything - you must help us by using the tools available to draw attention to threads/bullies you think need our attention. That is the best way. But these heavy-hearted, where-have-all-the-good-times-gone comments do nothing to help whatever you think is wrong with TPF. (See my signature.) :mrgreen:

We have a feedback and suggestion forum, and PM's, too. Please use them! :thumbup:

From what I've seen here and on other forums...there are things that change when a forum gets bigger and 'grows up'. Sure, it was great when the forum was really small and it felt like everybody knew everybody...it was like a small town.

Now it's more like a city. There are more things to do and more people to talk to. And we can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Take this thread for example...some say we need more moderation, some say less. So what are we to do?

I do know that our Mod team cares about the forum and puts in the work to see that it runs smoothly and in the direction that the mods, admins & owner (and members) think that it should be heading.

I do know that there are plenty of other photography forums...and most of them are a lot less friendly than this one.

The sad part for me is being a long timer, I have come to realize that TPF is no longer the place I used to enjoy. Hell, I dont even post pics here anymore. There are some days I wonder why I even come here, but it has always been my first forum I joined and I learned everything ....well, o.k not everything,:lol: but most of it, from the members that used to be here. I have always had this "passion" for this place, and have wanted it to improve, and even joined in some of the conversations on making it better. Now is seems like it will just remain the same and most likely get worse instead of better unless people put their heads together. That saddens me. :grumpy:

Actually, it was another set of *initials* who was out to get him.

I think just about every Mod was itching to ban him at one time or another but, yeah, you're right.
It's just that MD was always the one who always pressed the ban button while the rest of us were still discussing things.
I miss that impulsiveness (I think).

Admit it, Chiller. You just come here for the coffee :mrgreen:

The sad part for me is being a long timer, I have come to realize that TPF is no longer the place I used to enjoy. Hell, I dont even post pics here anymore. There are some days I wonder why I even come here, but it has always been my first forum I joined and I learned everything ....well, o.k not everything,:lol: but most of it, from the members that used to be here. I have always had this "passion" for this place, and have wanted it to improve, and even joined in some of the conversations on making it better. Now is seems like it will just remain the same and most likely get worse instead of better unless people put their heads together. That saddens me. :grumpy:
Is it possible that you have 'outgrown' the things that you really liked about the forum before? I mean, you are one heck of a photographer now, and there are fewer and fewer people on here that can teach you things...maybe not because those people are gone, but because you have grown.

We do try to make the forum attractive to professional and skilled photographers but it's not hard to tell that most of the new members are 'newbies'. We get the same old questions in the beginner's forums, day after day, week after week and year after year. I think that our strongest attribute as a forum, is that we still welcome those newbies and make them feel comfortable. Lots of other forums aren't like that.
The result of this, I think, is that the forum overall, stays at a certain level. There are plenty of people who have or could easily outgrow this place and need to move on, in order to keep up their learning curve...and that's OK. I think that we are, for the most part, happy with the balance this way. Just my opinion anyway :D

I was too busy making money with my pictures to be on TPF...:lol:, but since the economy tanked, I'm back!

j/k: I come and go, and yes things change but I still like it here (for what it's worth)

pascal

lol. i know i was close guys. i get it.

trolling used to be fun. then i realized how much i could learn from some of the folks here and reeled it back.

that said, even those people that I really admired don't post here anymore.

there's a lot of people who are into photography here, but not that many people who are great photographers.

there's a lot of people who are into photography here, but not that many people who are great photographers.
If camera (& other photographic) companies only catered to great photographers, they would all have gone out of business a long time ago. I'd guess that Canon sells 1000 point & shoot digicams for every DSLRs they sell...and they probalby sell 1000 Rebels for every 1D they sell.

Most reactions

Back