Photographers United

can we get a definition of what a "great photographer" actually is.

Far as I am concerned there are some fantastic photographers here - though as I started with saying some appear reluctant to speak more on their methods - though I will say this is not through selfishness or want of hiding "secrets" since most will happily speak in pms - if pmed. No I say what it is is that we don't talk enough about our methods and talents -and thus the methods sections are full of the beginners who are lucky in that they know what to ask (Just how do I take a photo) than those intermediate ones who don't really know as well where their problems or where to focus their energies as directly

When i first joined here, i joined 3 other forums and the only others i remotely post on is a local forum for my city and a nature one. When i joined in 2007 i think, i seen the family atmosphere this place had and wanted to be apart of that. Saw the meet-up forum and noticed that this place is not just a forum to post pictures on but also meet people and form possible future friendships. People travel from one end of the world just to meet up with people from the other, maybe for only a week maybe for longer. I wanted to be a part of this, now there may very well be a meet up on my end of the earth. We still have a family atmosphere and new people add to it everyday. If you didn't have change what would you have? If everything stayed the same the mods would have no purpose, no one to tell to keep off the politics. We would all know better. You all have met wonderful people from joining this site and still today meet new arrivals and become friends. Why change what little good we have? We can keep this place the way it is now, or go back to the old days either way there were tools that interrupted it and fools that P.O'd people off.

Anyway, the Mods and Admins do a great job here and deserve a clap and a pat on the back.

Just wanted to underline and emphasize that.

Thank you all for being kind to me and wanting to come here to meet a 16 year old kid that none of you have met before in your lives(i hope!!)

In my opinion i would not change this forum in any way, shape or form.

If camera (& other photographic) companies only catered to great photographers, they would all have gone out of business a long time ago. I'd guess that Canon sells 1000 point & shoot digicams for every DSLRs they sell...and they probalby sell 1000 Rebels for every 1D they sell.

totally, i suppose what i mean is, that because anyone can buy an digital slr these days for a reasonable price, there's a bunch of people who think that owning one = photographer.

when in reality they have no eye. and they never will. i don't think you can teach anyone how grow an eye right? (does that make sense).

still, i clearly love this place or wouldn't keep coming back.

I disagree with that view - I think one can very much learn an eye. Its not easy and takes longer than it does to pick up technical skills and understanding; because those are based on rules which can be defined - whilst developing an eye is about both rules and rule breaking.

Its certainly possible to have no eye - but I think most can aquire an eye though practice, patience, experience and viewing the works of others.

I think most can aquire an eye though practice, patience, experience and viewing the works of others.

It also helps to apply intelligence.
Whilst it is possible to develop an 'eye' there are people who have it naturally and they will always be better than someone who has to work at it.
Part of having an 'eye' is not having to think about it - they just do it. It's an instinct and an instinctive response is something you can't teach.
Trust me on that ;)

Definatly not going to argue against that Hertz, just wanted to counter the view that there was no hope for those who don't start with that natural eye. :)

It would be such a shame to see (some of the) "long-timers" leave.....I quite enjoy this place, and that is mostly due to some really super "long-timers".

Is it possible that you have 'outgrown' the things that you really liked about the forum before? I mean, you are one heck of a photographer now, and there are fewer and fewer people on here that can teach you things...maybe not because those people are gone, but because you have grown.

We do try to make the forum attractive to professional and skilled photographers but it's not hard to tell that most of the new members are 'newbies'. We get the same old questions in the beginner's forums, day after day, week after week and year after year. I think that our strongest attribute as a forum, is that we still welcome those newbies and make them feel comfortable. Lots of other forums aren't like that.
The result of this, I think, is that the forum overall, stays at a certain level. There are plenty of people who have or could easily outgrow this place and need to move on, in order to keep up their learning curve...and that's OK. I think that we are, for the most part, happy with the balance this way. Just my opinion anyway :D

Holy Moly Big M. First off, thank you for your overly kind words. ...and second.... You gave us a better diagnosis then our anger management doctor. Plate of peroges for you:D I think you got it right tho man. I am at a point where I dont have any where to go with my photography as a hobby, and I sort of call it this way. Im at that undecided point where I should either just take a break from it all,and find another hobby or stay away from the forums and do it for me instead. I have over 200 images I have shot in the past month, and have not even looked at them.

sooo I can put your name down for the crusade can I?
Um...uh...might be safer if I just stay down here in my crpyt with the big ol iron door closed. Y'all can come knockin if anything exciting happens. :lmao: Might poke around, but keep my big trap shut on any future discussions. :meh:

Holy Moly Big M. First off, thank you for your overly kind words. ...and second.... You gave us a better diagnosis then our anger management doctor. Plate of peroges for you:D I think you got it right tho man. I am at a point where I dont have any where to go with my photography as a hobby, and I sort of call it this way. Im at that undecided point where I should either just take a break from it all,and find another hobby or stay away from the forums and do it for me instead. I have over 200 images I have shot in the past month, and have not even looked at them.

Um...uh...might be safer if I just stay down here in my crpyt with the big ol iron door closed. Y'all can come knockin if anything exciting happens. :lmao: Might poke around, but keep my big trap shut on any future discussions. :meh:

You see you're supposed to stick around to give people like me inspiration to shoot what we like to shoot and to put the work into the photo that is necessary to get what we want. I was losing my will to take pictures for a while there (I was stupid and decided to take a photography class). I just had to look in the Darkside Gallery and I had all the inspiration I needed. I may not be good but I know where to go to get inspiration.

You see you're supposed to stick around to give people like me inspiration to shoot what we like to shoot and to put the work into the photo that is necessary to get what we want. I was losing my will to take pictures for a while there (I was stupid and decided to take a photography class). I just had to look in the Darkside Gallery and I had all the inspiration I needed. I may not be good but I know where to go to get inspiration.

Can I second, third and fourth that!!!?? ;)

If Chiller, for one, were to leave...this is sure to become a sad, dark...er, umm..... bright (? :confused:) place. ...And we can't have that!!! :wink:

Chiller: "I have over 200 images I have shot in the past month, and have not even looked at them." ACK!!! Post them!!!! I'LL look at them!!! ;) I still go through "Chill withdrawl" every now and then!! Please....it's for the good of my health!!!

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: All hail the "Chill"! ...And all the other, helpful, wonderful "long-timers"!!!

:hug::

Last edited:
It also helps to apply intelligence.
Whilst it is possible to develop an 'eye' there are people who have it naturally and they will always be better than someone who has to work at it.
Part of having an 'eye' is not having to think about it - they just do it. It's an instinct and an instinctive response is something you can't teach.
Trust me on that ;)

That clarifies things much better, thanks Hertz.

I know people who've gone to school for four years. Yeah they know all about photoshop and how to edit pictures. They know how to set up a studio with the right light. They take technically sound photo's that are perfect in many ways.

Every single picture I've seen of theirs BORES me to death.

YET, they still get work, because they know the business. They know how to sell themselves and they put the best photo's in their portfolio's.

Then I see people who take pictures with a point and shoot and they're pictures are more interesting. Those are the people I wanna teach. Those are the people that I would help. Those are the people I comment on.

This place seems to be filled with a lot of technical know-alls with no real talent for making interesting pictures.

Sure they're well lit. Sure they're customers will be happy. But will they be thankful? Will they be happy they found you and refer you to all their friends?

ENNNNNNNNNN.:thumbdown:

no. cause you're probably way over priced and you stink.

IMO.
:heart:

P.S. Hertz I haven't seen many threads by you these days? Are you just here for the conversation? I used to love your shots! Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back