TheLostPhotographer
TPF Noob!
I'm interested to get some feedback on how different people from different parts of the world value art photography. I've started threads about this on UK based web forums, and no doubt it has been discussed here in the past.
One of my favourite photographers - Thomas Struth seems to be recognised/appreciated far more in the US than in the UK or, even his home country Germany. He had a retrospective exhibition at MoMa in NY. In Europe you would be very unlikely to see a solo Struth exhibition outside of a small circle of elitist photographic galleries. Although, I am told he is more frequently news in the UK these days (I haven't visited London since leaving over Two years ago).
I would like to know whether photographers like Struth make it outside of art circles in the States (and any other country) into the domain of the general public or, not.
And, I would also like to know who are your favourite art photographers. The term 'art photographer' in this instance applies to any photographers that exhibit or, publish their work in an art context as art. That's my interpretation, but I would be very interested to know how others define art photography.
An open discussion about photography presented as art.
See, I could have said all that in one line
Few will still be reading this far down.
Oh, and why isn't there an 'Art Photography' forum here?
One of my favourite photographers - Thomas Struth seems to be recognised/appreciated far more in the US than in the UK or, even his home country Germany. He had a retrospective exhibition at MoMa in NY. In Europe you would be very unlikely to see a solo Struth exhibition outside of a small circle of elitist photographic galleries. Although, I am told he is more frequently news in the UK these days (I haven't visited London since leaving over Two years ago).
I would like to know whether photographers like Struth make it outside of art circles in the States (and any other country) into the domain of the general public or, not.
And, I would also like to know who are your favourite art photographers. The term 'art photographer' in this instance applies to any photographers that exhibit or, publish their work in an art context as art. That's my interpretation, but I would be very interested to know how others define art photography.
An open discussion about photography presented as art.
See, I could have said all that in one line
Oh, and why isn't there an 'Art Photography' forum here?
