Are you starving? Then it might be an art.
Someone mentioned art being in the eye of the beholder, but I think it has more to do with the eye of the photographer. An artist sees things differently than the average person and their work goes beyond what most could produce. Anyone can pick up a paintbrush and make swirly lines and circles and maybe even houses and plants, but in the hands of an artist it becomes a whole, a story, maybe even a portal into another world. Anyone can pick up a camera and snap an image. But then there are images that take us somewhere we can't otherwise go (and I am not talking about physical places, but actually transporting the viewer to that moment or that scene...and I think it's more than just emotion). Anyone can capture a moment or even grab great shots, but an artist goes farther than that and grabs you.
Was the collage of outhouses I saw hanging outside the bathrooms at Ryans last night fine art? Maybe if you remove the "ine." But strangely the "artist" took something few people care to ponder and sold it to a restaurant.
Have there been painters who passed swirly lines and circles off as art (or black squares or bulls eyes), yes. They may be quite proud of their feats and conceited about their displays, but they manage to make a good living.
I took an art class in college with a dear friend who inspired me. He was an artist and could draw, paint, create almost anything he wanted. We were both quite shocked when I got an A in the class but he only got a B. The professor explained to us that I had poured my heart and soul into the class and while I may not have produced masterpieces, I sought to improve and create new things...my friend produced incredible pieces, but he was just doing what he had to to get by.
I don't pretend to be anything more than a beginner, (just a mom with a dSLR and a kit lens), but one day I'd like to be able to show people their own world in ways they don't take time to see.
Yes it is a craft. All art is craft to some extent. Maybe art is whatever transcends the basics? Maybe art is what stirs emotions, makes people uncomfortable, angers them, saddens them, fills them with joy, makes them lose where they are for a moment, makes them wonder, makes them think. I've seen photographs (some of this forum) that do that...I hope I can someday.