Photos for C&C

@Samanax : f5.6, 1/160, ISO 200, 300mm. Manual focus, but I really think it's my contacts not working properly, haha. But there was probably some camera shake going on as well.

@Manaheim: Thank you. Honestly. #1 was a test shot. It didn't come out exactly as I wanted, but neither did the other 10 just like it that I took. This was the best one. #2 I took because I have always liked photos of train tracks. I love how they move your eye through the photo... but I really do agree that I need to work on the composition of this one. #3 is out of focus, which on the 2.5" lcd Canon gives us, I couldn't tell... #4 As I've said, I was playing around, and I liked it. I probably liked it more than most of you because that is my girlfriend... but hey, I'm biased and OK with that :) I really do appreciate your comments, I am always glad to recieve ANY and ALL critiques, no matter how harsh.

@Bitter Jeweler: That looks very cool! I'll definitely keep playing with some light effects and see how things go.

Thanks to all for your comments! Please check out my Flickr link in my signature... there are a lot more photos there and I would appreciate comments on any of them!

Really guys? "Good eye"? Either I'm losing my mind, or you folks should really think a little more carefully about your critique. Please understand that saying something is good is a very significant statement... if it isn't so good, you're just encouraging someone to not grow beyond what they are already doing. Hell, even if it is good... you do people more good by finding things that could be improved than by simply patting them on the back.
I gotta agree...recently many of the posts on TPF seem like they're coming from a cheering section instead of people who have made photography a part of their lives. If you're going to give C&C (Comment and Critique) do so with the intent of posting something meaningful, not only for the OP but for yourself. I feel that learning to give good objective C&C also helps the people giving the C&C as well as the OP. Don't post a quick comment just to get your post count up. Look at the image and think about it...is it really good? Does the OP really have a good eye? How does the image make you feel? Is the composition good? Is the exposure good? What's going on with the light and shadows? The lines and shapes? Think before you post.

f5.6, 1/160, ISO 200, 300mm
Okay, when shooting with a long focal length you have to remember to keep the shutter speed up...for a focal length of 300mm you need to keep the shutter speed above 1/300 or you'll get camera shake.
Manual focus
Why are you using manual focus? The only time I use manual focus is when I'm doing macro photography. All other times I use Auto Focus.

I use manual focus for a couple reasons (but again, i'm new to photography)

1. To get used to doing it... new to the camera, new to photography, I am trying to build my skills as fast as I can.

2. The auto-focus makes me mad more often than it helps. It will focus on something too close or too far, and not the subject that I want.

There are many times where the AF would be fine... but I have been using the MF just to get the hang of it.

...recently many of the posts on TPF seem like they're coming from a cheering section instead of people who have made photography a part of their lives. If you're going to give C&C (Comment and Critique) do so with the intent of posting something meaningful, not only for the OP but for yourself.

Somebody should create some kind of critique agreement, or pact, or something to use as a guide line.

I use manual focus for a couple reasons (but again, i'm new to photography)

1. To get used to doing it... new to the camera, new to photography, I am trying to build my skills as fast as I can.
Commendable, but you really don't have to use manual focus for every shot. Today's auto focus systems are very good.
2. The auto-focus makes me mad more often than it helps. It will focus on something too close or too far, and not the subject that I want.
Are you picking the focus point or is the camera deciding? See page 61 of the owner's manual to see how to select the focus point. Most use the center focus point because it's the most sensative. Focus, lock focus, recompose the shot and then hit the shutter release.

I bought the camera used, didnt come with the manual... but i'll definitely look it up online.

Thanks again for all the comments

Oh yeah! Centre, focus, recompose baby!

...recently many of the posts on TPF seem like they're coming from a cheering section instead of people who have made photography a part of their lives. If you're going to give C&C (Comment and Critique) do so with the intent of posting something meaningful, not only for the OP but for yourself.

Somebody should create some kind of critique agreement, or pact, or something to use as a guide line.

You mean like the thingy in my sig?

I can't say much more other than practise. You'll need to take a lot of images to see a serious improvement. Every image you take though helps you improve, as long as you're thinking about what you're doing and why.

The AF sensors on Canon's Rebel series of DSLR's are just...not smart. It's because of a lack of focus points. The xxD's are far better in the arena of just letting the camera do it's thing and focus for you, but even then, centre, focus, and recompose is usually the best option in most scenarios, as long as you're quick about it.

Note that if your lens has IS, then the rule-of-thumb for hand-holding the lens is a little different, depending on how many stops of IS it provides. Without IS, it's 1/([focal length]*1.6). With IS, it's 1/([focal length]*1.6) - [x stops of IS].

Anything else I'd add would just be redundant to manaheim's earlier post.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back