Placing an Adorama order

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so here is what I'm ordering:

I need a step up ring and new CPL because the ones I had seem to have disappeared... So I have them on there... Just the standard cheapo adorama branded step up ring, and a tiffen CPL. It's not the cheapest, but also not the most expensive. I don't remember if I had Hoya or Tiffen before or something different. I think I got my CPL from Ritz last time...

I am buying the 85mm f/1.8 lens

And I am getting a "portable" lighting set up...

Umbrella: 2011 Westcott Compact 43" White Satin Umbrella with Removable Black Cover - Collapsible
Umbrella Adapter: 781404 Adorama Universal Swivel Holder fits Shoe Mount Flashs
Stand: 9908 Westcott Pro 8' Free Sliding Lightstand with 5/8 Mounting Stud, 4 Sections with 3 Risers, Black Anodized.
Reflector: PR5132 Flashpoint 32" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, Translucent, White, Black, Silver & Soft Gold.

And I am getting this flash flip thing that my photography teacher suggested so that when I shoot in portrait instead of landscape and I'm not using off camera lighting, I can keep the flash above the lens instead of next to it...

FABQF Flashpoint Quick Flip Flash Bracket with removeable shoe

And last, but not least, a mini soft box to fit on my flash because the one I made out of paper sucks! lol
RS3500 Adorama Mini SoftBox Diffuser for Shoe Mount Flashes

Oh, and I'm gonna go get some velcro for the "bounce card" I made lol

Am I missing anything? I am already $100 over what I had set as my budget, but if there is anything crucial that I'm missing, let me know please :) Thanks!

And last, but not least, a mini soft box to fit on my flash because the one I made out of paper sucks! lol
That thing is useless. Don't waste your money.

32" is pretty small for a reflector (45" is better), but better than nothing.

Do you have the cord from the camera hot shoe to the speedlight you need to use that flash bracket? I would spend that money and the money for that useless soft box gizmo, on ebay radio triggers.

I would skip the "softbox" I ordered a few of them a while back and they are pretty useless and they don't sit on the flash head too well. If you notice in the pic, the flash head is tilted slightly up. If you lower it completely it forces the softbox to sit all goofy. I would just get the standard stofen type diffuser.

Do you have a Sync cord for the flash that will be sitting on your flip flash bracket? I know the cord is more convienent for me than trying to go wireless with my triggers.

32" reflectors are fairly small, but work nicely for head or head and shoulder shots.

Not trying to brag or suggest otherwise, but I just bought a used 13' heavy duty air-cushioned light stand from my local camera shop for $6 more than your 8' stand. 8' is a minimal height IMO.

EDIT:
:lol: Keith got in two points as I was multi-tasking.

That thing is useless. Don't waste your money.

32" is pretty small for a reflector (45" is better), but better than nothing.

Do you have the cord from the camera hot shoe to the speedlight you need to use that flash bracket? I would spend that money and the money for that useless soft box gizmo, on ebay radio triggers.

Okay, so I'll be getting rid of the softbox majigger lol

I will search for a 45" 5 in 1 reflector...

I don't have a cord to go from the hotshoe to my flash as far as I know.... I'm assuming it would have a hotshoe thing with a cord right? If so, I don't have anything like that... I do have a cord for something, but honestly can't remember what piece of equipment they came with (Flash, camera, remote shutter release (because it can be plugged directly into the camera), or flash triggers lol)... After some experimentation, I know it came with the flash... It plugs into the side of the receiver of the radio trigger, but I can't figure out where the other end of the cord plugs into lol... It wouldn't plug in anywhere on my camera, and it didn't fit in the hole on the side of the transmitter... Going to read through the manual after I finish replying here lol

I would skip the "softbox" I ordered a few of them a while back and they are pretty useless and they don't sit on the flash head too well. If you notice in the pic, the flash head is tilted slightly up. If you lower it completely it forces the softbox to sit all goofy. I would just get the standard stofen type diffuser.

Thanks :) That's 2 people saying not to get the softbox thing lol :)

Do you have a Sync cord for the flash that will be sitting on your flip flash bracket? I know the cord is more convienent for me than trying to go wireless with my triggers.

32" reflectors are fairly small, but work nicely for head or head and shoulder shots.

Not trying to brag or suggest otherwise, but I just bought a used 13' heavy duty air-cushioned light stand from my local camera shop for $6 more than your 8' stand. 8' is a minimal height IMO.

EDIT:
:lol: Keith got in two points as I was multi-tasking.

Like I said up there to K, I am working on figuring out what the one cord is that I have. Not sure if it is a cord for the flash to fire off camera or something else? Lol Either way, it is extremely short and I might ahve to get another one anyway...

I will look into the stand thing. I have NO CLUE what to look for in a stand and honestly, I think this was the least expensive (without going UBER cheap) that Adorama had... I don't want something that is going to fall apart on me lol

If I used the wrong terminology, apologies..... busy, busy, busy,..... but I meant the cord that sits in the hotshoe and connects to the flash.

The cord I have is a detachable shutter cord... That's as far as I've gotten, just thought I'd update just in case anyone wants to tell me what it is and gets that said before I figure it out myself lol

okay, so apparently, "Detachable Shutter Cord" is Vivitar's way of saying "PC cord" and since reznap mentioned that my camera doesn't have a PC socket, WTH am I supposed to do??? Lol

The Vivitar 285 HV came with a short PC cord....one end has a small, very "pointy" end that goes into the Vivitar flash near the foot, the other end is about 1/16 inch diameter and rounded, and fits a PC connection outlet at the camera's end of the cord.

On a camera that does not have a PC outlet, the Nikon AS-15 (accessory shoe, style 15) for $19.95 works pretty well...I use an AS-15 quite often on my Canon 5D because it has an idiotically-positioned PC outlet on the left hand side of the body, and I prefer to have the PC cord hooked up someplace where normal use doe not dislodge the connector.

So....you NEED a PC outlet accessory. The Nikon AS-15 is probably the best one on the market. There are also cheap Chinese made ones available, but I would not go with one of those when the real deal is so affordable and has a proven track record.

Thanks Derrel..

Keith & whoever else suggested above, I found 42" reflectors, is that better? The next size up was 47" but the 5-in-1 was like $117 lol The 42" are only $35

I think mine is 42"... I mainly use it for head & shoulder single person portraits and smaller stuff - for that it's perfect.

For full body shots, or multiple people you'll probably want something bigger. Like, one of the rectangular ones that are like 3' by 6'...

thanks Goonies :)

Josh, wow... 3' by 6'??? That just seems crazy lol

and I just noticed - if I get the flash flip bracket thing, I will have to take my grip off to use it :( lol

Most reactions

Back