Planning my next lens.. Sooo confused.

essentials

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been kicking around the thought of picking up my next lens and I'm really just unsure of which direction I should go with it. I'm largely unsure because I simply don't understand enough about lenses and what I should have in my bag...

I currently have my eye on these two lenses.

18-200mm

18-300mm

I prefer landscape photography over everything else. Sunsets, panoramas, beaches, you name it I'm there and I love it.. I'm using a Nikon D3200 at the moment but we can talk about that later.. ;)

Tight zoomed shots aren't really all that necessary to me, so technically an 18-70 would work just as well, though I do like the thought of being able to zoom in on something if I wanted it..... Sigh.. I'm so confused.

What I'm really looking for are three things...

1. Just a no bull gospel on which lens is better and whether or not these lenses will allow me to produce quality prints. Saying I "master" everything else, are either of these even remotely close to professional quality lenses?

2. Any articles, websites, tutorials, etc, on how to pick lenses and determine their quality as well as other important factors.

3. Why would I want to choose any other focal length lenses if this one covers them all?

I somehow imagine this is an overly asked question so please feel free to link me to existing threads should that be the case but I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone could offer. I'm wanting to pick this lens up tonight or tomorrow, whichever I decide.

Thank you very much for reading and any help offered.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Understanding Camera Lenses
Camera Lens Quality: MTF, Resolution & Contrast
Using Wide Angle Lenses
Using Telephoto Lenses

Wide angle lenses are generally used for landscape photography.
Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens ......... Review 12-24 AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II Digital Zoom Lens (AF-S Motor) (for Nikon Cameras) ...... Review 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina Lens Review by Thom Hogan
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras ...... Review Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 EX DC HSM review: Digital Photography Review

Any lens having a 10+x zoom range (superzoom) has to be designed to accommodate a series of image quality compromises.

In the end, none of them perform well at the extremes of their adjustment ranges and are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses more geared to convenient consumer use rather than professional image quality.

For example: Review Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor (N APS-C)

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX review: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Pros
  • Huge 11.1x focal length range, ideal travel lens
  • Decent build quality - much better than Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens
  • Very effective vibration reduction system, at least 3 stops benefit
  • Excellent fast, silent autofocus with manual override
  • High image quality in the normal to short telephoto range, and good at 200mm

Conclusion - Cons
  • Pronounced distortion across much of the range
  • Extremely soft at 135mm
  • Rather average close-up performance
  • Zoom creep

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the respons. Sadly, I already knew, deep down, the answer to my question. I want to have a versatile lens but in reality, the 12-24 is perfect for what I want to do. The expense is going to break my back for a while but I think I can handle it for now.

Question, would you recommend a new lens, or could I consider a "like new" or refurbished one and be confident that the lens will still be good? Obviously no one can speak to the individual quality of a particular used lens, I just mean, is there any reason why I should consider forking over the extra $600 to get the new?

Thanks again!

Buy from KEH. Its pretty well known on the internet that they tend to underrate their gear...I've purchased BGN lenses from them that looked beautiful. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from KEH.

Refurbish or a well cared for used one works.

I have bought used gear from KEH, B&H Photo Video's Used Dept., brick and mortar camera stores, and private sellers.

I quit buying new camera gear 25 years ago when I realized that by buying new I was always paying for a warranty I was not likely to ever use.

In that 25 years I have never had to have any used camera gear I bought repaired for anything that would have been covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

The more you know about photography gear, the better you understand the possible pitfalls of buying used.

Just to add to my post - I tend to avoid Adorama for used gear. They overrate the condition of their items, and generally have them labeled very poorly.

Note that Adorama is also not on my list.

I have never purchased used gear from Adorama mainly because I have never cared for their web site.

Great minds think alike :mrgreen:

Quick question, should I use any filters on this new lens? It will be delivered Friday, is there anything additional I should do to protect it? The guy also asked me about the warranty... Was $50. I get 6 months protection against mechanical defects but he offers another 18 months additional coverage.

Why buy a lens until you know what and why you need something?
Every time I bought a lens while in the throes of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, it has been a mistake.
Buy the lens you want when you need it to do the job you want to do - unless you have more money than you need and you like selling things at a loss or dusting them every month or so.

Well, I know I need the lens, I know I want the lens, I know it will produce the images I want to produce at the quality I want to produce them at. Everything about this lens is what I need.

My question was actually more pertaining to the care of this particular lens itself and whether or not it's different than my others. Everyone I've spoken with says not to put filters on it but the salesman I spoke with at keh asked if I wanted to buy the UV filters and told me I should with this lens, I declined due to my inexperience and knowledge with filters... It's crossed my mind of course that he was likely just trying to upsell me on something, however, I wanted to be 100% sure which is why I asked.

While I really do appreciate your feedback, I am not so concerned with investing money into something like this if it will inevitably help me pursue a lifelong dream, which I know it will. I've seen what others can produce with this lens and thanks to the comments above, feel confident in my purchase.

Now I want to be 100% sure that I protect my investment, thus my question. :)

On a lens used with a digital camera, a uv filter is only protection for the front element - and a poor one at that.
Neither of these lenses produces spectacular images (read the reviews) and putting another piece of glass in front of it would only degrade the image more.
Use your lens hood to protect the front element and forget the filter.

A lens cap is your best protection. Keep one on at all times. Even when shooting.

Neither of these lenses produces spectacular images (read the reviews)

I apologize for being confused yet again, which lenses are you referring to? The original ones I asked about, or the 12-24?

I purchased this one from keh.com.

All the reviews I've seen for the 12-24 say it's a good lens. If you know otherwise, please let me know. I would be greatly curious to know which lens you believe to be the most superior at that focal length.

As for your answers, thank you both very much. That's consistent with what I've heard, the salesman was just being a salesman and tried to scare me into buying something I didn't need....

Most reactions

Back