Please solve my dilemma

LiveStrong2009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, today was the first day that I experimented with my Canon 70-200 f/4 lens. 95% of my photos were blurred. Is this due to the lack of IS? I am not sure what to do now, I ordered from Adorama.com which allows a 14day return policy. I am contemplating returning the lens and purchasing a different lens. Perhaps a standard zoom rather than telephoto. Does anybody have suggestions?

My price limit is about $650.00, I am rather disappointed in the outcome of this, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

At this point, I am planning on returning the lens. If The cost of a new lens is not as much as the 70-200 I have right now, I may also buy a 50mm 1.8 or something similar.

I am leaving for vacation in about 3 weeks, so I really need to find and research a lens quickly.

Need to know more specifics.

What shutter speed were you shooting at? Post a photo and the exif data and we'll be able to help you.

Without knowing the situation, seeing the images and checking the exif data it's hard to give you any advice. What I do know is that 95% of the time it is operator error. If you bought a lens without IS you need to know how to use it.
Do you have a cheap filter on it?
Are you using a fast enough shutter speed?
Are you holding the camera correctly?

Don't be silly. It's never the user's fault. :er:

Alright, Here is an example.

IMG_3445.jpg

F-Number - 4.5
Shutter Speed- 1/320
ISO- 100

I doubt the filter is the issue, it is neither top of the line nor the least expensive. I have used the same brand before with a different size filter.

I think that my camera holding technique is also fine, I have been shooting for quite a while and have followed the suggestions mentioned in the book I read.

Can you post a larger version, I'm not seeing any motion blur with such a tiny size :(

That flying bug looks out of focus, not motion blurred.

Can you post a larger version, I'm not seeing any motion blur with such a tiny size :(

That flying bug looks out of focus, not motion blurred.

The Flying bug is just a sweet coincidence that it popped into the pic. All of the vegetation is also blurred.

The other pics I posted show it a little bit better.

So you're basically shooting wide open, and stuff is blurry.

Yep, it's a faulty lens.

Ok now I see it thanks :)

I'm assuming you are zoomed in just about all the way? There is definite motion blue, though slight it is quite present.

The problem is your shutter speed is a bit slow and I'd have to guess that you aren't used to the weight so you are shaking more than normal. Bump it up to about 1/500th of a second, from what I've experienced without IS 1/500th is about the slowest you can go when you aren't bracing your camera properly.

Another way to slow the shutter speed down a bit if you can't bump up your ISO would be to use the Mcnally method of shooting, I can't explain it but he has videos up.

Actually white there is motion blur in these photos

Thank you Shmne!

White: Why don't you reread the posts and see where I mentioned that it was purely mechanical issues? You won't find it, there is no point where I claimed that it is solely the lens and not user error. I am trying to learn how to fix my issue, or I am considering a lens with IS that will provide me with a lens I can "control" better. There is a reason I posted this in the Photography Beginner's Forum & Photo Gallery. Please be a dick elsewhere.

Most reactions

Back