Please suggest a Canon Camera for a new photographer

Nikon or Canon?

• Total voters

sherriengo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to specialize in Real Estate photography and Infant Photography. I have gotten recommendations to start my career with a Canon but what one? There are a million choices. Also what lenses and accessories do I need to get in addition to my new Camera. I say Canon because most photographers I know recommended Canon over Nikon. I'm clueless and brand new so your help and suggestions are appreciated! Thank you in advance.

It doesn't matter. There are a million posts here and on every photography forum in the universe on this same subject -- try searching instead of (possibly) trolling.

I am going to specialize in Real Estate photography and Infant Photography. I have gotten recommendations to start my career with a Canon but what one? There are a million choices. Also what lenses and accessories do I need to get in addition to my new Camera. I say Canon because most photographers I know recommended Canon over Nikon. I'm clueless and brand new so your help and suggestions are appreciated! Thank you in advance.

depends on your budget !
full frame vs crop
primes vs zooms
lighting and flashes

Any DSLR is more then capable of excellent results both From Canon and Nikon and in fact its hard to tell one from another looking at pictures.What is your budget?,What type of shooting do you think you will be doing? Don't listen to fanboys Canon or Nikon. Nikon do somethings better then Canon and Canon do somethings better then Nikon.

Last edited:
The differences between an entry level Canon and entry level Nikon is insignificant. Generally, Canon is a bit cheaper than Nikon for similar hardware. Both build to about the same standard. A $600 Nikon is as robust as a $600 Canon, et al.

I'd say it is similar to asking which is better a Chevy or a Ford. You need to try-out, play with both, dive into the UI. If you toss a stack of 8x10's on a tabletop, you will not be able to separate them by manufacturer.

The trick with different camera manufacturers are they they create ergonomics and button control layouts differently. The best thing anyone can tell you is to go into a camera store, a Best Buy, or whatver and actually handle the different bodies, including the lower-end, mid-range, and higher end. You'll find that you're probably going to either really like or really hate one or the other. Both companies make outstanding cameras, and without going into a fanboy war, I'll say that I use Nikon partially because Canon's have never sat right in my hands. I love their image quality. They have a steller selection of lenses. But a lot of it's purely on fit alone.

Now having said that, what kind of budget are you looking at? That'll help figure out lenses, bodies, and everything else.

When people ask me one of the deciding factors I tell them is what do their friends have.

If their friends and other photographers have one brand then it may be better to get that brand as if they need help, they can just ask someone. Versus if none of your friends have that brand then no one can help.

Plus you can swap equipment if they have a better lens, or radio triggers or other camera specific device.

I am going to specialize in Real Estate photography and Infant Photography.
The Canon owners will recommend Canon, and the Nikon owners will recommend Nikon.

Both your intended uses require extensive training and some specialized equipment, and they're different enough that you could almost have two separate groups of equipment.

So I'd say get Nikon for the Real Estate photography, and Canon for the infant photography.

Why do you provide a poll for Canon or Nikon when you are specifically asking for Canon?

OP also has to figure out her total budget, otherwise someone will recommend a $7,900 camera and lens.

For Real Estate, you will need a fast wide zoom or prime. Many pros use a "perspective control" - PC lens. Also lights.

For portraiture, you need a lens that renders human skin in a flattering way. Also lights.

Think of a budget, factor in a good lens or two, couple of speedlights, stands, diffusers, gels, radio triggers and then buy the best body you can afford with what's left.

Most reactions

Back