Plese tell me if what Adorama did seems legit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in the market for some strobes and I find a Elinchrom 500/500 BXRi To Go kit with stands, in used "D" condition, which is "little or no signs of wear". The price was $960 and than it cost me $22.50 for shipping. A new 500/500 BXRi kit on B&H is going for $1,249.99 so I figured I was getting a pretty good deal, right??? After my delivery arrives and I start opening the boxes I start to realize their are no Portalite soft boxes($119x2), no Skyport SPEED transmitter($109.99), and no monolight carry bag($94.49). That is a total of $442.48!!! Their is however, a standard reflector($39.99) and a wide angle reflector($23.74) in their which is weird since neither of those items come with the kit. 1st thing I do is go to check the listing to see if I missed something but its "conveniently" gone from their site. I do however have the invoice in the box and it lists Elinchrom 2X 500 BXRi TOGO KIT W/STNDS but that clearly isn't what i received. So I make a call to Adorama and explain what is going on and the rep. says she will get back to me after she speaks with the used department. Well after days of emails back and forth and a couple phone calls I am told they will not send me the missing items, that the kit didn't come with them and that best I can do is accept it as is or return it. So now to get the kit I actually wanted I have to spend $442 more! $442+$982= $1424!!!!! I should have just went to B&H and got a NEW kit for $175 less and without the headaches and delay. Do you think it is right that Adorama can decide to remove and replace items at their desecration and just call it "used" without making that clear in their description. To me a 500 BXRi TOGO kit is something that Elinchrom marketed and has decided what items they wanted to include in it, NOT ADORAMA! If Adorama, or some employee in the used department wanted to take out good items for themselves or whatever reason than it should have not been sold as a 500 TO GO kit, and certainly not use the same pictures and links to the complete 500/500 to go kit with all the original items in it. Well I decide I am going to return it and shop elsewhere from now on but 1st I am going to have to pay for the return shipping. Talk about a smack in the face!! I already paid $22.50 to have it shipped to me, now I will have to pay again to send it back because they didn't list the item correctly. I advise anyomne that is going to purchase anything used to be aware of my experience and not be fooled into assuming as I did, that Adorama, a company with 10 MILLION IN REVENUE wouldn't be out to screw over the little guy! I should have kept my guard up, ya know the way you do if purchasing something from craigslist!!! Please let me know your thoughts and if their is something I should do or I am just not seeing.

Something tells me you and
glyph_pilcrow_sign_00B6_136.png

would not get along.

I don't recall seeing hundreds of thousands of positive threads.

That was my point... happy people don't complain! And I guarantee that there are a lot more happy people... than people that aren't! Even a 1 unhappy to 100 happy ratio wouldn't be bad.. but I bet this is more like 1 to 1000, or 1 to 10000. But thanks to the internet and search engines... one person whining that he got screwed can convince a lot of idiots that the ONE person should be listened to, no matter how hard the store tried to make him happy after the initial incident.

That was my point... happy people don't complain! And I guarantee that there are a lot more happy people... than people that aren't! Even a 1 unhappy to 100 happy ratio wouldn't be bad.. but I bet this is more like 1 to 1000, or 1 to 10000. But thanks to the internet and search engines... one person whining that he got screwed can convince a lot of idiots that the ONE person should be listened to, no matter how hard the store tried to make him happy after the initial incident.

So really you don't know that there are that many happy people and you just pulled that number out of your a$$.

So really you don't know that there are that many happy people and you just pulled that number out of your a$$.

Time for a poll thread.

Whatever... try logic.. they are still in business, and they sell all over the world! And it probably MILLIONS of happy customers... lol! With multiple transactions each! I have done several hundred transactions just myself over the past 30 years or so... did I sometimes have to return something? Yes! Did I whine about it? No! Am I happy with the vast majority of the transactions? YES.. Ecstatic! :)

Wow I don't get what you mean sfastlx. Very publicly a member of the Adorama Company basically said because the OP isn't happy he will get his money refunded, free shipping, the customer service needs to be looked into and it seems she bent over backward to fix the problem. Should it have been taken care of on the first call? Well, probably but the company has provided this avenue for satisfaction and it worked. They don't have to provide this service and they could have covered themselves in a public forum in any number of ways but they didn't- their answer was customer first, an apology for anything less, and a resolution that seems very fair considering the company is covering return shipping without cost to the OP.

People are quick to jump on companies for their faults even though any of us who have been in positions of dealing with the public know that the customer is certainly not always right. I say kudos to Adorama for taking a bad PR situation and doing the right thing.

........People are quick to jump on companies for their faults even though any of us who have been in positions of dealing with the public know that the customer is certainly not always right.......

Whoever coined the phrase, "The customer is always right" never worked in retail.

Update for everyone interested. I contacted Helen via email around noon and she got back to very fast, and to make a long story short, went above and beyond my expectations. I wont get into too many details but I will say that I am going to be keeping the kit and I will DEFINITLY still be using Adorama in the future. Helen restored all the trust I had in Adorama and as long as she is working for them they will remain a great company!! On a side note, from here on out I will be referring to her as "Helen Saint de Adorama". :D Thank You Again Helen.

You might edit and add a copy of this last post to the top of your first post.

Many won't read through to this page.

Funny.... hundreds of thousands of GOOD successful transactions.... and two people (both buying used to to save a buck) are louder than all of those other who have nothing to complain about..... funny how it works that way, isn't it?
I'm certain that more than 2 people have had an issue with Adorama and I am positive that if they contacted Helen Oster that she would do everything she could to resolve the issue. What I am not positive about is why you felt the need to reference the fact that I was buying used to save a buck. You can't really be that big of a snob, can you? Here is a reality check "friend". Not everyone is a baller, and if I can "save a buck" by buying used than I certainly will. Frugal: teach your kids it's not a dirty word. :irked:

Happy people don't complain??? You have got to be joking. Of course they don't complain, why would they? What they do is give thanks and recommendations. For some reason tho I couldn't find any threads started by you thanking or recommending Adorama or any other company for that matter. You just seem to stop on in my thread with the rest of the "idiots" (your words) and call me a whiner. Since your here with us does that makes you a idiot too??? Lastly, I never set out to convince anyone to listen to me. I asked for opinions! You are the self richeous A$$ who is acting like you have a clue as to what the he11 you are even talking about. Since Helen made things right with me I will not speak on what Adorama initially did or didn't do, even if it is to straighten out a tool like you. I really hoped to maintain a positive attitude today too... well there is always tomorrow.

Funny.... hundreds of thousands of GOOD successful transactions.... and two people (both buying used to to save a buck) are louder than all of those other who have nothing to complain about..... funny how it works that way, isn't it?
I'm certain that more than 2 people have had an issue with Adorama and I am positive that if they contacted Helen Oster that she would do everything she could to resolve the issue. What I am not positive about is why you felt the need to reference the fact that I was buying used to save a buck. You can't really be that big of a snob, can you? Here is a reality check "friend". Not everyone is a baller, and if I can "save a buck" by buying used than I certainly will. Frugal: teach your kids it's not a dirty word. :irked:

Happy people don't complain??? You have got to be joking. Of course they don't complain, why would they? What they do is give thanks and recommendations. For some reason tho I couldn't find any threads started by you thanking or recommending Adorama or any other company for that matter. You just seem to stop on in my thread with the rest of the "idiots" (your words) and call me a whiner. Since your here with us does that makes you a idiot too??? Lastly, I never set out to convince anyone to listen to me. I asked for opinions! You are the self richeous A$$ who is acting like you have a clue as to what the he11 you are even talking about. Since Helen made things right with me I will not speak on what Adorama initially did or didn't do, even if it is to straighten out a tool like you. I really hoped to maintain a positive attitude today too... well there is always tomorrow.

Whatever! Glad you are happy now... ;) (and the clueless idiots I was referring to are those that read posts like yours, and then accept it as gospel without doing any research of their own to verify it! Most of those here don't fall in that category!) Might want to work on those reading skills too!

(and Buying Used is fine.. but you are also much more likely to get something that you aren't happy with... you seem to have ignored that part of the equation!)

Last edited:
TMC said:

Don't let Charlie get to you. He's a lot of talk with very little substance. Kind of ironic that he would call other people idiots... But I guess it takes one to know one, right?

What I would suggest you do is click on his name and add him to your ignore list. It's great, because you won't see any of his posts, ever. Unless you want to, that is. Which I'm not sure why you would.

Anyways, I'm glad Helen was able to help you and Adorama has been redeemed. I see no problem with buying well maintained used equipment. If the trade off is slight cosmetic damage for quality gear, it's a great deal.

Chances are Charlie will post something after this regarding how butthurt he is that he's on my ignore list. The funny thing is, I can't see it, and don't even have the option to on my cell phone. So, in a way, it's almost like he's posting to exert his "forum cred," when in reality he's talking to himself. Good times all around.

Last edited:
TMC said:

Don't let Charlie get to you. He's a lot of talk with very little substance. Kind of ironic that he would call other people idiots... But I guess it takes one to know one, right?

really?

Last edited:
Pie is great, but 3.14 is better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back