portrait cc

mikie2084

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to know what you guys think of this photo? How can i do better, what did i do wrong ect?

DSC_0726.jpg

Um, I find it really odd that she's behind a haystack.
Her skin is a bit reddish and the eyes are completely dark. I don't like the photo.:meh:

Tell me what i could of done to make it better please! Not just that you dont like it, im not a portrait photog and just a beginner, i used my Sb-600 to try and fill the shadows , thats the first time ive ever tried to do it. Where i live we have farms and hay and open fields, not just beaches and beautiful weather. I dont mind you not liking my photo just help me and understand we are from dif parts of the country!

Thanks

Mike

Another pic!

CSC_0730.jpg

Im used my Sb-600 twice im not a pro thats why im here, it doesnt bother me if you dont like my photos but help me not just say i dont like them!

I wish there were fields of flowers here....so much potential for portraits.
I'm jealous! Lol

I like the second shot, better than the first. What If she leaned or were out more open towards the tree?
Or maybe sat in front of the tree...with the field leveled behind you?

Just some ideas. :)

Another pic!

, it doesnt bother me if you dont like my photos but help me not just say i dont like them!
For starters, neither shot is sharp enough, and while the second one has some potential, it needs to be recomposed somewhat. I'm guessing some camera shake was the culprit there.

I used my tripod for just about every shot I took, we were walking out of the field by the bale and it was just spur of the moment. Wind was blowing bout 25mph and the women were constantly fixing their hair. Heres a tripod shot, i think its oof too, but what did i mess up on?

DSC_0639-2.jpg

To Early and Perfectlyflawed thank you for your time to help me!!

I know this isn't considered a person but his is my boy, my kid, my buddy! I love this shot of him.

DSC_0606.jpg

She is in shadow, and does not stand out in the photo. Your subject should jump out, within reason.

D-B-J can you explain more please? Im just a beginner trying to learn as much as i can. I thank you for your post. I know i need to figure out my speedlight to fill the eyes but like i said this is the 2nd time using it and the first was just practicing.

I know this isn't considered a person but his is my boy, my kid, my buddy! I love this shot of him.

DSC_0606.jpg
This one is spot on. The pic with the girls just doesn't jump out at you the way this one does. Perhaps it would look better enlarged, but I can't tell.

Hi Mikie,

A successful portrait, or any photograph, should have the subject be predominant within the frame, i.e. the viewer should immediately see what the main subject is.

In the first photo, the subject is not predominant, the haystack in front is bigger and also very sharp, the tree behind is bigger and the composition has placed her completely to the left with a large open field taking up most of the photograph. My question is therefore, is this a portrait or a landscape that happens to have someone in it? If I'm asking the question, it means the photo is not providing the answer.

In the second photograph, the subject is the main point, however the tree just isn't adding to the composition, it's just too damn big. It's probably a good idea to reposition the subject away from the very centre as well, with the subject in the centre and the tree to the left, this image is very unbalanced as there is nothing to the right to counterbalance it. The image is also too dark, at least by one stop.

Now I have a suggestion. As you want to learn, take what I have said above, study the third photo and see if you can determine what works and what doesn't. Once you've done this reshoot it accordingly. This will develop your internal critique and help you compose successfully for future shoots.

Hope this helps a bit, any other questions and the rest let me know :)

Steve

Most reactions

Back