Portrait of my Son, New SoftBox

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got a soft box today to add to my lighting set up.

I used speed light with soft box center left, speed light over head facing down left, and a gold circular reflector lower right.

If you have any CC to give I would appreciate it. One thing I am seeing in the pose is that I cropped out his hands. I think this would have been stronger if all his hands were showing.

softbox test by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

not liking the crop, pose, hands cut and oof... and I think it would be better if you shot him at another angle-slightly above

jmo, others will tell something more useful :)

I see what Maria is saying, something is just off... Though the photo itself looks good. The contrast, composition, lighting, etc.

Will improve if you rotate him a bit. Also try to have the same body parts, eyes, shoulders, etc. at different levels from the ground. I bought a book by Doug Box called "Guide to posing" and it has been real informative. Got it from Amazon (just like everything else these days).

Just got a soft box today to add to my lighting set up.

I used speed light with soft box center left, speed light over head facing down left, and a gold circular reflector lower right.

If you have any CC to give I would appreciate it.

You're getting some glare on is face from the softbox, which is acceptable, IMO, and I don't see a "variation" of the reflector light (to be somewhat less), but the most troublesome to me is that I wish the top flash was snooted way small to hit only his hair. Here it is illuminating his shoulders way too much, IMO.

I probably agree with your cropping the hands comment, however; you don't want to get the crotch of his pants in the shot, so maybe cropping his hands like that is o.k.

Overall, I like the pose.

Just the cropping of the hands is off like others have said. Simply because my eye moves from his face down to his hands which then are awkwardly cut off. But even so, I really liked it. His pose, face, the lighting. I think it's spot on.

agree too much on the shoulder, not enough on the face like designer said. Just a liitle less on the shoulders and a little more on the face maybe. hands cropped blah blah.. etc.

i think the actual pose if is fine. but shoot him with less depth because him leaning forward you are going to make him look like he has a oversized head.

for the record i know about chit about portraits.

i am giving you a like though because i actually think this is pretty decent.

I appreciate all the feed back. I was not sure about the pose and once I noticed I had cropped his hands out I was like $%^&. This was more of an exercise on lighting and the difference with soft box and without.

I will try this again and try to do better

I appreciate all the feed back. I was not sure about the pose and once I noticed I had cropped his hands out I was like $%^&. This was more of an exercise on lighting and the difference with soft box and without.

I will try this again and try to do better
hey, nice looking son you have. Looks like a strong willed young man too you should be proud.

Yes, he is. I have three boys and one daughter. I am a lucky man! He is my oldest son and never wants to take photos. This time around he liked them because the lighting made him look real cut….hehehe

Pretty good use of light. especially for having JUST started with OCF setups and with a brand-new modifier. I think this could make a fabulous B&W conversion.

I think the lighting looks nice. Plenty of details, nice separation from the background. I agree about the hands, but I actually like the pose here. Straight on, leaning forward really fits the mood you have set with his clothing and expression. He looks very "Tough"

Just my humble 2cents,

[QUOTE="Derrel, post: 3370409, member: 44194"I think this could make a fabulous B&W conversion.[/QUOTE]

I agree. As is it looks a lot like the subject is sitting under a florescent light tube.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back