portraits

madimom_04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I have posted some pics for brutal criticism (which I asked for)...

What lens do you use for portraits?

what camera are you shooting with? Lot's of lenses can be used for portraits. Personally I prefer my 70-200 f2.8 ;)

One of: 50mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, or 70-200 2.8 depending on which body I'm using and what the circumstances are.

Use any lens you want.

I would use anywhere from 12mm to 300mm. Well, that is what I have in my quiver, yours may vary.

I got the 50mm f/1.8 as a cheap portrait lens; at 80mm equiv it is a fairly nice length. I also use the 100mm f/2.8 macro but that needs a bit more space.

The long end of you 18-55 will be fine. You don't have a fast aperture with it, and its sharpness encourages stopping down to f/8. This is still workable to get an oof background (but a lot harder than shooting with a faster lens) if you considered your subject placement relative to the background.

The 50mm f/1.8 is cheap and optically quite good. It's a pretty good lens for the price. You can shoot with anything though; plenty of people use 24/35mm for environmental portraits on FF. It's all to do with the style you want to develop.

For straight out portraits, (head and shoulders), I normally use the 70-200 2.8 IS.

Most reactions

Back