Possible to port your 'live view' to an iPad?

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My eyes are a bit, ummm, mature. Yeah, that's it- mature.

Shooting astrophotography would be SO much easier if I was focusing on a screen the size of an iPad.

I shoot nikon, but I would guess the procedure/gear would be the same (or similar) for Canon IF this is even possible.

Anybody?

Depends on the model of camera but most any of the models above entry level will do it. If you use software like ControlMyNikon on a laptop you can do it wired in or models like the D5300 will wirelessly connect to an android or IOS smart device, whatever those are????

Does your Nikon have wifi? I use wifi to connect my canon to my ipad. I think you can use a third party device like a camranger as well if your Nikon dosnt have wifi.

My D600 does not do wifi, but I'll look into 'controlmynikon'

If your camera has wifi, you can use the nikon wmu (wireless mobile utility) which will allow you to live view and focus your camera from your iphone or ipad.

If your camera has wifi, you can use the nikon wmu (wireless mobile utility) which will allow you to live view and focus your camera from your iphone or ipad.
Good thought- the D5500 that I had (gave to my daughter) included wifi, but not the D600 unfortunately.

I use the CamRanger; a pricier option, BUT... it has the advantage of not requiring an existing wireless signal as it is its own hub, therefore it can be used anywhere.

It would be great if Nikon had decided to make their WiFi compatible with a laptop instead of just with the android or IOS smart device.
The D5300 will show up on a laptop but won't be recognized by any software I can find.............
It would be nice to have the really big screen of the laptop!

It would be great if Nikon had decided to make their WiFi compatible with a laptop instead of just with the android or IOS smart device.
The D5300 will show up on a laptop but won't be recognized by any software I can find.............
It would be nice to have the really big screen of the laptop!
Welcome to what is known in the business world as Marketing. If they gave you everything you wanted you would have no reason to come back for more.

Tethering to a small laptop solves the problem. MacBook Air - Apple

Rather than a wireless connection, I was really hoping you could physically tether with a cable- maybe using the iPhone camera USB connector?

Most reactions

Back