Powershot G7

laguano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got the Canon Powershot G7, and i really love it. Do you personally think it's a good camera for me? also, anything i should know about this camera, such as hidden features etc. One last question, does it have a timelapse feature?

how can we tell if it is a good camera for you if we don't know what you want / need in a camera ?

The G7 is a very nice point & shoot camera. When I say point & shoot, I mean non-SLR. It has a sharp lens, optical image stabilizer from the company that pioneered it, and even a hot shoe so proper flash can be used.

It has a couple of weaknesses though:

1) It is limited by its lens, since it isn't interchangable. You can get thread-in lenses, which give more capability, but optically, they won't give the same quality results as SLR lenses.

2) It uses either an LCD or EVF instead of a real-time, optical image of what you are shooting. This can be a disadvantage for shooting fast action.

However, why would you want to second-guess yourself? You'll give yourself a complex if you wait for everyone else to approve of your choice of camera.

I can only assume you did some research and had good reasons for choosing this camera.

Welcome to TPF!

If you are a beginner in photogarphy, this is the perfect machine for you!

2) It uses either an LCD or EVF instead of a real-time, optical image of what you are shooting. This can be a disadvantage for shooting fast action.
Welcome to TPF!

Nope.. It has a real viewfinder much like a rangefinder.... All G-series cameras have an option of using either the LCD or look through the optical viewfinder. Note.. it is a viewfinder and not a prism viewfinder like in SLRs. If you need a TTL view (much like in macro shooting) you need to switch to the LCD.

I personally would rather have the G6. There are a few things that made the Canon G series a wonderful line of cameras that were left off of the G7 for some unknown reason.

* G7 has a slower lens. f2.8 instead of f2.0
* All G series prior had swing out and rotating LCD. The G7 is stationary
* The G7 uses a smaller shorter life battery. The G series prior uses the same battery that is used in many of their SLRs.. the B511. It has almost twice the operating power.
* This is the BIGGEST missing functionality. The G7 does not shoot RAW. All G series prior shoot RAW.

There are a few other "missing" stuff, but I can't remember the others.. those are the ones that matter to me. Of course, the G7 is newer, more mpixels, newer digi processesor, etc... I just don't think its specs meet up to the Canon "Gseries" of the past.

* This is the BIGGEST missing functionality. The G7 does not shoot RAW. All G series prior shoot RAW.
Ya, that's a big one.

One last question, does it have a timelapse feature?
You are the one who owns the camera...and the manual...so you tell us. ;)
My guess is that the camera itself does not, but if you tether the camera to your computer and use 'Canon Remote Capture' software...then you probably can.

Most reactions

Back