Presenting unedited SOOC pics to clients

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How good of an idea is that? I think it's good so you don't have to waste your time editing ALL the pics from the session when they might not even like certain shots. So instead, once they choose what pics they want for CD or print, you just edit the ones that they selected.
I'm asking because sometimes pics don't look good SOOC. (Lighting issues, wrinkles, things that need to be cloned out... etc.) and the client might think "wow these pics suck". Could it be a bad first impression showing SOOC images?

It's the worst idea you have come up with this is something you never do, do you want to sell photos if so they will have to be perfect sooc

How many shots per session are you showing each client that you feel it's a waste of time?

I don't even show my DH images that are SOOC. No way, No how.

I just had my daughters pictures done and the photographer just picked the ones she liked and edited those. I never saw all of the pictures she took. I received about 60 pictures from her and a few of them were the same pictures just edited differently (B+W/selective color/sepia/cropped). Personally, as the professional, you should choose the best shots since you know what looks good and what doesn't. My photographer asked me a millions questions about how I would like them edited and other stuff but that might be because she knows that I like photography and that I usually do my daughters portraits.

But then again, how bad could it be to show them pics SOOC? Big department store photographers do that. I don't know if they even edit their photos but they do let you go through all the shots and pick the poses you like. You are being hired (vs the big store) to take the pictures and edit them with your personal touch. I've been to the big department store photographers and individual photographers and I liked the individual better. I also liked that I didn't have to pick my own pictures out. That was left in the hands of the professional.

This is all my opinion - I am not a professional photographer

It's the worst idea you have come up with this is something you never do, do you want to sell photos if so they will have to be perfect sooc

Just please... shut up. NOTHING is perfect SOOC.
YES you want to shoot the best you possibly can sooc, but there is always cropping and composition adjusting, dodging and burning, cloning/cropping out distractions, blemish fixing, skin smoothing and TONS of other things (and creative things) to perform that a camera can not do! OK?? So get over yourself. So if your photos are absolutely perfect SOOC... why do you have photoshop and/or lightroom??

If you shoot on a white background you are going to have to light it perfectly or it will look muddy and grey

How many shots per session are you showing each client that you feel it's a waste of time?

What is DH?
And I don't think you get what I mean. I started off shooting around 100 pics per session. I'd edit about half of that (dumping the doubles or the ones that didn't turn out good) and put it on CD for my clients.

Now to make my work and time cost effective... I have a set amount of pics my clients will get on CD. So if I show them all the soocs from the session in a gallery, they will choose about 20 pics they want on CD. Then i would just have to edit those instead of editing up to 100 pics. I hope im clear now.. i don't think i was really in my op...lol

YES you want to shoot the best you possibly can sooc, but there is always cropping and composition adjusting, dodging and burning, cloning/cropping out distractions, blemish fixing, skin smoothing and TONS of other things (and creative things) to perform that a camera can not do! OK?? So get over yourself. So if your photos are absolutely perfect SOOC... why do you have photoshop and/or lightroom??

This is SOOC all i did was crop 8x6 and send to dye sub printer and customer had their mounted print from shot to print in less than 2 minutes, it's not perfect but i made £600 in 4 hours :sexywink:

1221198821_HR3ae-L.jpg

What is DH?
And I don't think you get what I mean. I started off shooting around 100 pics per session. I'd edit about half of that and put it on cd for my clients.

Now to make my work and time cost effective... I have a set amount of pics my clients will get on CD. So if I show them all the soocs from the session in a gallery, they will choose about 20 pics they want on CD. Then i would just have to edit those instead of editing up to 100 pics.

DH = Darling Husband/Darn Husband.

So you are selling a disk of 20 images, why even show them? Pick the 20 best, edit those and send those off to the client on a disk. Problem solved.

Now to make my work and time cost effective... I have a set amount of pics my clients will get on CD. So if I show them all the soocs from the session in a gallery, they will choose about 20 pics they want on CD. Then i would just have to edit those instead of editing up to 100 pics.

Are you shooting on location or in a studio?? Either way you could always ask them what poses they liked best and then choose the 20 yourself. I don't think there is anything wrong with you showing them your pics SOOC but I think it would be even more cost effective to just choose 20-30 of the best pictures (your opinion) and edit those and then choose the 20 yourself. No way would I edit all 100 pics from a shoot. Easier to pick your favorites and edit those.

If you don't mind me asking - how much are you charging for the shoot and the 20 pictures? I know prices vary according to geographical location - but I was just curious.

I let my clients choose the photos they want edited. A few years ago when I opened my studio I would pick which ones I thought were best but sometimes I would get clients who would wanted to see them all or wanted more pictures or would ask why a certain one wasn't edited etc. Now I edited a certain amount based on the length of the shoot and they get to pick which they want and if they want more then agreed upon they will have to pay extra ( amount of edited photos is always stated in my contracts). I find allowing them to choose is less of a hassle. However before showing clients I do minor touch ups to the image if they need to be done (lighting Etc) and obviously if there is a photo that is just plain awful I delete before uploading but that's usually not an issue.

Are you shooting on location or in a studio?? Either way you could always ask them what poses they liked best and then choose the 20 yourself. I don't think there is anything wrong with you showing them your pics SOOC but I think it would be even more cost effective to just choose 20-30 of the best pictures (your opinion) and edit those and then choose the 20 yourself. No way would I edit all 100 pics from a shoot. Easier to pick your favorites and edit those.

You can set up a quick action and edit 20 in no time at all that will make a big difference to the shots and show them

This is SOOC all i did was crop 8x6 and send to dye sub printer and customer had their mounted print from shot to print in less than 2 minutes, it's not perfect but i made £600 in 4 hours :sexywink:

1221198821_HR3ae-L.jpg

OMG you cropped it didnt you??! Do you not sharpen for print?? You could have have burned those white lines in his right eye and erased some wonky hairs sticking out. This is what i'm talking about.

Even if you just cropped it.. why waste "2 minutes" of your life if your client didn't even want that photo??

1221198821_HR3ae-L.jpg

OMG you cropped it didnt you??! Do you not sharpen for print?? You could have have burned those white lines in his right eye and erased some wonky hairs sticking out. This is what i'm talking about.

Even if you just cropped it.. why waste "2 minutes" of your life if your client didn't even want that photo??

I didn't waste 2 minutes, 2 minutes = £10 in my pocket

Most reactions

New Topics

Back