printing pictures: who to use?

P

punch

i have a question about where to go to have my images printed.

i used costco originally because they ran a 60 free prints promotion and only because of that. i found that the images were flat and dark.

i used clarkcolor based on a recommendation from a professional and i found that the prints, while having a lot more color saturation, were very yellow and actually... sort of over-saturated.

i would like ideas on who you feel prints pictures closest to the image. i'm viewing the photos on no less than 3 different monitors and i know each monitor looks a little different (i'd love ideas on how to get the most accurate color out of a monitor as well if that's even possible).

not sure what to do to get images to print the way they look to me. is it a matter of sticking with one printer and adjusting images before they go to print to compensate for their quirks?

thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
(i'd love ideas on how to get the most accurate color out of a monitor as well if that's even possible).
Calibration.

Until you calibrate your monitor, it's going to be a crap shoot trying to get good prints anywhere. It will mostly be trial and error. Depending on how much error is involved, it could get expensive.

This is one popular calibration device, among others:
Datacolor Spyder3Elite Display Calibration System DC S3EL100 B&H

It's a little more involved than just calibrating your display. It starts back when the photo was first made and is collectively known as 'color management'.

You also need to soft-proof using the ICC profiles of the machine that will make the print. Most reputable online print labs will have their ICC profiles available for download at no charge.

For some tutorials on color management Visit www.cambridgeincolor, click on the tutorials and scroll down to the section that covers color management.

Your profile doesn't indicate where 0on the planet you are location but www.mpix.com is a very popular online consumer lab and has some good information on how to prepare your photos for printing here: http://mpix.com/support/Help.aspx?id=3 . At the bottom of the page is a link for downloading their ICC profiles and directions how to use them.

Many places will give you the free prints to color match and they will even provide you with ICC profiles for their printer. Thats what Technicare did for me. I calibrated my monitor did some test proofs and it matched almost perfectly. Good luck.

We use Costco a lot for our prints. I started to have some blown up as well there. They have the option to check where they will not auto-correct the photos when you upload them. That way if you have adjusted them to your liking, they don't get changed. I've never had a problem with them looking like I uploaded. Not sure if you've tried this way or not, but hasn't been a problem. I'm not a professional though, so my opinion might not account for much :)

Color profiles are both yours, and your printers friend.

However our quality control seems to be a bit better...if prints are obviously over saturated or skin tones are yellow, and the customer is not using a color profile, or hasn't requested a color match...we're still obligated as press operators to fix it.

Color profiles are both yours, and your printers friend.

However our quality control seems to be a bit better...if prints are obviously over saturated or skin tones are yellow, and the customer is not using a color profile, or hasn't requested a color match...we're still obligated as press operators to fix it.

"our" or "we" being who in this case?

Have you noticed? Most of the people offering you advice (and most other forum members) use their shift key to make the appropriate capital letters.

"Our" and "we" being the company I work for. I did not give out the name because we do not do small scale printing, but if you ever need something larger scale, you could look us up.

Britten Banners - Vinyl Banners - Banner Maker Online

I'm just saying, we have customers who use color profiles. We have customers that request sample prints, or send us match prints. And then, we have a majority of customers that do none of the above, and just want a good looking print. If I sent out an over saturated photo, or yellow looking skin tones, I'd be talked to when/if the customer complains.

Have you noticed? Most of the people offering you advice (and most other forum members) use their shift key to make the appropriate capital letters.

useless AND rude. well done.

it's a stylistic choice, not ignorance of grammar.

useless AND rude. well done.

it's a stylistic choice, not ignorance of grammar.

I think that's an unfair assumption. KmH wasn't referring to grammar, just capilization, which is just a small portion of grammar. He doesn't know anything about comma placement, so he's obviously only passionate about that one thing.

WHCC x2. They offer free test prints so you can check the prints and send you a whole set of samples of their different papers and offers. Their prices are very reasonable and I've switched to using their metallic paper almost exclusively. LOVE them. I just recently tried their premium packaging and drop shipping for a customer for the first time this month and I was very pleased with everything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back