Pro crop d500

Nikon has announced the much-anticipated followup to its D300S, the 20.9MP D500 which the company calls its 'best enthusiast DX offering.' It features the same 153-point AF system and EXPEED 5 processor. It can shoot continuously at 10 fps with a 200 shot buffer for Raw images. It can also capture 4K/UHD video and also features 'SnapBridge', a constant connection to a smartphone using Bluetooth, similar to what Samsung did with its NX1. The D500 will be available from March at a cost of around $2000.

this all doesnt add up to me.

Huh. Not very impressive....10 frames per second, 20.9 megapixel sensor, a mere 200-shot RAW frame buffer, 153-point AF system...Expeed 5 processor...4k UHD video capture...ehhhh...ask any Canon 7D-II shooter and he'll tell you this new Nikon is utter crap. Hell, the native ISO range is only 100 ISO to 51,200 ISO, with an expanded range of from ISO 50 to ISO 1,640,000 equivalent. I mean sheeet...it doesn't expand to two million ISO.

Nikon has announced the much-anticipated followup to its D300S, the 20.9MP D500 which the company calls its 'best enthusiast DX offering.' It features the same 153-point AF system and EXPEED 5 processor. It can shoot continuously at 10 fps with a 200 shot buffer for Raw images. It can also capture 4K/UHD video and also features 'SnapBridge', a constant connection to a smartphone using Bluetooth, similar to what Samsung did with its NX1. The D500 will be available from March at a cost of around $2000.

this all doesnt add up to me.

What do you want it add up to?

Huh. Not very impressive....10 frames per second, 20.9 megapixel sensor, a mere 200-shot RAW frame buffer, 153-point AF system...Expeed 5 processor...4k UHD video capture...ehhhh...ask any Canon 7D-II shooter and he'll tell you this new Nikon is utter crap. Hell, the native ISO range is only 100 ISO to 51,200 ISO, with an expanded range of from ISO 50 to ISO 1,640,000 equivalent. I mean sheeet...it doesn't expand to two million ISO.
Derrel beat me to it .. being a naysayer of the d500 lacking the prerequisites of being a Great camera .. it's only good.
I was hoping for more, Much More. for Much Le$$.

other than that it's pretty neat. Did they go with a 20.9mp sensor to assist in image workflow through the camera ? or improved low light due to larger pixel doohickies.
Or did Canon have it right all along ?
lol

jaomul said:
Do you think it looks like good value?

$1995 at introductory price after a YEARS-long wait for the new, pro-body APS-C camera from Nikon? Are you kidding? Is it a good value?

What do you suppose the price will level out at after this has been on the market for a year? My prediction is in the $1399 to $1499 zone, at full walk-in retail, brand new, after a year on the market.

This camera is an incredibly high-specification camera, for under $2K--at intro!

I kinda hope because of this model Nikon does a few new dx specific lenses, something like a 50-140/150 f2.8 similar to fuji and samsung

jaomul said:
Do you think it looks like good value?

$1995 at introductory price after a YEARS-long wait for the new, pro-body APS-C camera from Nikon? Are you kidding? Is it a good value?

What do you suppose the price will level out at after this has been on the market for a year? My prediction is in the $1399 to $1499 zone, at full walk-in retail, brand new, after a year on the market.

This camera is an incredibly high-specification camera, for under $2K--at intro!
$$ competitive to the Canon 7dm2

Most reactions

Back