Pro vs semi pro dslrs

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
treeoflifestairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been browsing dxo marks and I'm curious what the differences are between what is considered a professional and a semi professional DSLR. I compared the Nikon D800, the D4, and the Sony NEX-7 (because I own it). I was pleasantly surprised at how my NEX-7 faired against the full frame cameras but even more surprising is how the sensor of the D800, considered a semi pro camera, beat out the D4 in the dxo mark tests. Does the pro part just come from what other capabilities the camera comes with? I guess I didn't see any reason I would choose the D4 over the D800 for double the cost. Am I missing something?

Just like Engine in the car. At one point, the Lotus Elise use the 4 cylinders engine from Toyota. But if you put the Toyota Celica (which share with the same engine) on the same track with the Lotus Elise, I bet the Lotus will have a better lap time.

Camera sensor is just one of the item in the camera. There are a lot of other factors to consider.

Most professional grade DSLRs have a vertical grip built right into the camera body.
For Prosumer (semi-pro) cameras a vertical grip is purchased as a separate accessory.
In general, camera makers do not make a vertical grip for their entry level cameras. Some aftermarket gear makers do make vertical grips for some of the entry-level camera bodies.

Today there are a few entry-level cameras have some weather sealing, external controls, and improved build quality attributes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back