Problem: New d3100, Pictures are not sharp

35mm4me

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.onelightimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying to figure out what’s going on, I just returned a Nikon cool pix l820 point and shoot that I had for one week for a Nikon d3100, even when in auto mode, vr on and auto focus the d3100 pictures are not in focus and not sharp. The coolpix l820 pictures were very sharp and in focus. Searched the internet and can’t find anything directly related to this. could the lens ( nikkor 18-55 VR) be lesser quality to the point and shoot lens

Thanks

Trying to figure out what’s going on, I just returned a Nikon cool pix l820 point and shoot that I had for one week for a Nikon d3100, even when in auto mode, vr on and auto focus the d3100 pictures are not in focus and not sharp. The coolpix l820 pictures were very sharp and in focus. Searched the internet and can’t find anything directly related to this. could the lens ( nikkor 18-55 VR) be lesser quality to the point and shoot lens

Thanks

Post some of the images with exif intact.

Take off any filters.... a cheap one can seriously degrade IQ.

Keep you shutter reciprocal to the lens FL or faster... preferably faster.

Make sure your aperture is giving adequate DOF to cover the subject..

Keep your ISO as low as possible but still allow the shutter and aperture you need.

Again.. post some of the images... so we can SEE what happened...

Thanks
The 18-55 lens is pretty sharp, I have it along with a Tamron 70 -300MM VC and No problems getting sharp images.If your shooting Jpeg the default in camera sharpening is around +3 You can turn it up.I have mine +7 for jpeg but I shoot raw and do my own sharpening.As mentioned already,Post some picture with Exif info so it can be viewed for better assistance.Here is a picture of some beach front houses after they where rebuilt after hurricane sandy.Sharpening was at default settings taken at 55mm I/400 F8 @ ISO 100.DSC_0016 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yea.. I don't think it is the lens either...

I have the D3100 and from a Fujifilm S2950, the D3100 with the 18-55 kit is much sharper than the S2950. Most common mistakes/error from newbie like me....are there any fingerprints on the lens?

My guess is that the OP is used to the eye-candy type of JPEG images that most small compact digital cameras spit out; with sharpening applied, a contrast enhancement, and one of multiple types of color "looks" applied. Most d-slr cameras offer multiple "looks" or as Canon calls them "Picture Styles", which all put a visual style or imprint on the out of camera JPEG images.

Nikon has multiple settings that custom-tailor out of camera JPEG images so that they are, for example suitable for Direct Print, or Vivid.

Maybe look into this aspect; most d-slr cameras by default, will output a relatively mild,moderate degree of both sharpening and contrast, so that the image can easily be molded to the right look in software, later, after the fact. Most compacts on the other hand, output a "juiced" image that is quite vivid, and has a lot of sharpening applied in-camera, so the images are ready to be viewed immediately upon download.

It's hard to say anything without seeing an actual shots. Now with that said, how is the camera set up? A lot goes on in the camera before post processing. Example, I shot my D3100 using Vivid and and couple more notches on Sharpness and White Balance.

These kind of post always means to me "User error" or unrealistic "User P&S expectations"
Not realizing they will need to spend serious time learning to use a dslr.
And more time shooting and adjusting to get images they are happy with.

Thanks for all the advice. I can post some images tomorrow, shot in auto and manual with the same settings.
I checked the set up and right now
Image quality is…jpeg fine
Picture control is set to… Standard
White balance to… Auto
Noise reduction…on

Thanks for all the advice. I can post some images tomorrow, shot in auto and manual with the same settings.
White balance to… Auto
Noise reduction…on

I've got White Balance set to Auto plus A3 on my D3100 and shoot using Vivid

Shooting menu > White Balance > White Balance Auto > A3
Shooting menu > set picture control > Vivid > OK
Shooting Menu > set picture control > Vivid > Sharping > +2-3 notches
Shooting Menu > set picture control > Vivid > Saturation > + 1-2 notches

Also: I have the File Number Sequence set to On

White balance to… Auto
Noise reduction…on

I've got White Balance set to Auto plus A3 on my D3100 and shoot using Vivid

Also: I have the File Number Sequence set to On

Do you have any images you can share at these settings? I made those adjustments to my D3100 last night and will take some samples shots…

Thanks

I adjusted the camera as described above, except I don’t know how the -3 and -2 are set.

Two images taken in auto mode #1 auto focus #2 Manual focus ,right from the card

Thanks

These look pretty decent to me. The focus appears to be on the nearest part of the fountain.

Possibly you're just not used to having a finite depth of field? Stuff that's not in the plane of focus will be progressively softer the farther in front or behind that plane of focus it is. The Coolpix will have far more depth of field at any given setting than the D3100, because of its very very small sensor. There's a bunch of geometry to explain why.

Looks like the focus point is too far from the camera and most of the fountain is OOF.

Here's the EXIF:

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3100
Image Date: 2013-07-05 00:59:03 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 29.0mm (35mm equivalent: 43mm)
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Ver.1.01

Most reactions