Professional concert photography advice?

OhInsanity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm currently trying to build up a portfolio for college applications, so my funds are limited right now. Anyways, any advice on types of lenses, flash?, combating lighting, camera settings, etc, etc. Just any form of advice would be welcomed. Preferably advice from people who are in this field and are successful, or just anyone who knows what they're talking about. ( which I assume is most of you since this is a photography forum =])

Oh and I'm currently working with a Canon rebel T3 with a 55mm lens (=/) but I'm about to purchase a 300mm which will hopefully help some.

Any advice you can spare is very much appreciated =]
-Callie

Where do you plan on shooting from? Pit, rear sound booth? I can't imagine many clubs where a 300mm would be helpful. I would shoot without a flash, with f/1.8, and adjust near 1/60-1/100 shutter speed with Auto ISO. I would check the photos after each photo for being too noisy.

While I don't work or shoot in these kind of conditions I will second sierra's advice. If the venue is dark then a 300mm at f/5.6 on a Rebel isn't going to be fast enough or of any real use, I can't see you getting a shutter speed much higher than a second! You also won't need a focal length much longer than 70mm if you're anywhere near the bands.

What you want is a fast lens, probably the 50mm 1.8 which will allow you to keep a moderately fast shutter speed to freeze what's happening on stage. It's also inexpensive, compact and can be used for much more than shooting in clubs!

Also, are you thinking about applying to College to do photography before you even have a portfolio? I'm sorry if I sound condescending but it sounds like you're still at the stage where you simply want the longest lens rather than the most appropriate. I would also like to say that it is just about impossible to make a living from music photography, you can do it on the side as something you are passionate about, but be prepared to do more than concert shoots.

Last edited:
Where do you plan on shooting from? Pit, rear sound booth? I can't imagine many clubs where a 300mm would be helpful. I would shoot without a flash, with f/1.8, and adjust near 1/60-1/100 shutter speed with Auto ISO. I would check the photos after each photo for being too noisy.

My 55mm wont go to f/1.8 thats why I need a better lens, what kind should I get? I usually shoot right in front of the stage, I'm only 17 so I dont really get to shoot big shows, its usually just small venues with bands that I know

While I don't work or shoot in these kind of conditions I will second sierra's advice. If the venue is dark then a 300mm at f/5.6 on a Rebel isn't going to be fast enough or of any real use, I can't see you getting a shutter speed much higher than a second! You also won't need a focal length much longer than 70mm if you're anywhere near the bands.

What you want is a fast lens, probably the 50mm 1.8 which will allow you to keep a moderately fast shutter speed to freeze what's happening on stage. It's also inexpensive, compact and can be used for much more than shooting in clubs!

Also, are you thinking about applying to College to do photography before you even have a portfolio? I'm sorry if I sound condescending but it sounds like you're still at the stage where you simply want the longest lens rather than the most appropriate. I would also like to say that it is just about impossible to make a living from music photography, you can do it on the side as something you are passionate about, but be prepared to do more than concert shoots.

I've been saving up so I have a budget of around 300 for a lens or two, any suggestions on a specific lens? And yes I do have a portfolio, but I dont have to apply until december so I am trying to build it up some more between now and then. The colleges I'm applying for provide career services and internships, and theyre pretty big colleges so they can help me get in with big companies, even with that said, I know it not a lucrative career unless you manage to get in with large band or big magazine. I know I'll probably have to have a job on the side, but this is my passion so I'm going to pursue it.

Thanks to both of you for the lens advice, you're right I don't know much about lenses. I just recently got a nice enough camera that can change lenses. I just wanted a 300mm for my other photo projects because the 55 doesn't zoom very far of course. So I think I'm going to get both a new wide angle and telephoto so that I'll have all of my needs covered.

You don't need a long lens for concert photography. Especially since you're shooting small bands in small venues, getting close should be easy. The bread and butter lens for most pro concert photographers, and myself (an advanced amature) is the 70-200 2.8. It's a big investment to start, but is well worth it. That being said, in small local venues you may find it to be too long alot of the time, so a lens like the 50 1.8, or the 17-55 2.8 may be better. Heck, some of my favorite concert photos have been taken with ultra wide angles and fisheyes in the 8-15mm range.

For now if you are just starting out, I'd look into a 50 1.8, or an 85 1.8. Both can be had for a few hundred or less I believe. I'm a Nikon guy though, so don't take my word on canon's pricing.

The biggest thing your going to need to do is learn to work well in low light. Almost no concert is lit with photography in mind. This means knowing the usable ceiling on your camera's iso, and learning to pull a fast shutter speed out when it's very hard. This means that fast lenses, and camera bodies with good low light performance will be your best friend. If you don't shoot in full manual, spot metering is also going to be your friend.

Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto.com) has some really great videos on concert photography for beginners, and is a really entertaining guy. Check him out.

Even an older 80-200 2.8 will do you much better than the 300mm.
-
Shoot well , Joe

Thanks so much guys! I seriously appreciate it

You don't need a long lens for concert photography. Especially since you're shooting small bands in small venues, getting close should be easy. The bread and butter lens for most pro concert photographers, and myself (an advanced amature) is the 70-200 2.8. It's a big investment to start, but is well worth it. That being said, in small local venues you may find it to be too long alot of the time, so a lens like the 50 1.8, or the 17-55 2.8 may be better. Heck, some of my favorite concert photos have been taken with ultra wide angles and fisheyes in the 8-15mm range.

For now if you are just starting out, I'd look into a 50 1.8, or an 85 1.8. Both can be had for a few hundred or less I believe. I'm a Nikon guy though, so don't take my word on canon's pricing.

The biggest thing your going to need to do is learn to work well in low light. Almost no concert is lit with photography in mind. This means knowing the usable ceiling on your camera's iso, and learning to pull a fast shutter speed out when it's very hard. This means that fast lenses, and camera bodies with good low light performance will be your best friend. If you don't shoot in full manual, spot metering is also going to be your friend.

Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto.com) has some really great videos on concert photography for beginners, and is a really entertaining guy. Check him out.

most helpful advice so far =] and yeah I found a 50 f/1.8 for 125$ so I'll probably go with that

I do have one more question (like I said I'm no lens expert) I was looking into the 50 1.8, Is 50mm its only option or does it zoom out further? I was just confused because I didnt see __-50mm just 50mm

I do have one more question (like I said I'm no lens expert) I was looking into the 50 1.8, Is 50mm its only option or does it zoom out further? I was just confused because I didnt see __-50mm just 50mm

It's a prime lens, meaning that it's only 50mm. There is no zoom function on it. To zoom, you simply get yourself physically closer or farther away from the subject. This is why I reccomend the 85 1.8. It's a slightly longer lens that is more appropriate for concert photography. Dont be afraid to buy used to save money either, I almost always do, either on ebay, or KEH.com, or from BH.

Canon 85mm f/1.8 EF USM Autofocus Lens 2519A003 B&H Photo Videoetail is $400, but I bet you could find a used one for $300 or so.

yeah my birthday is coming up, so I'm just gonna ask for money this year and invest in a nice lens, I can totally do 400 =D
Man, I need a job. I want a lens that has a zoom function though

yeah my birthday is coming up, so I'm just gonna ask for money this year and invest in a nice lens, I can totally do 400 =D
Man, I need a job. I want a lens that has a zoom function though

Zoom lenses are great. However the maximum aperture you can achieve is 2.8. That's a good bit slower than prime lenses like the 50 1.8.

And although they don't let in nearly as much light as the primes, profesional 2.8 zoom lenses are expensive. The 17-55 2.8 is about $1,400, and the 70-200 1.8 is over $2,000 new.

Since the key to photographing in low light is fast lenses, and your budget is tight, then primes are your best bet.

I've been saving up so I have a budget of around 300 for a lens or two, any suggestions on a specific lens? And yes I do have a portfolio, but I dont have to apply until december so I am trying to build it up some more between now and then. The colleges I'm applying for provide career services and internships, and theyre pretty big colleges so they can help me get in with big companies, even with that said, I know it not a lucrative career unless you manage to get in with large band or big magazine. I know I'll probably have to have a job on the side, but this is my passion so I'm going to pursue it.

I did suggest a lens, the Canon EF 50mm 1.8. I know it's now been reposted but I'm not sure that you realised that a 50mm 1.8 was an actual lens. It costs around $100 or £80 so it's a very good investment.

I second watching Jared Polin's earlier videos, he shares your passion for music photography and has taught me most of what I know about it. He also teaches a very important thing that you need to keep in mind, you need to be thinking about aperture as a priority when choosing a lens. A 300mm 5.6 is fun in bright sunlight but a waste of money if you're trying to shoot at f/5.6 when you can't really get past 800ISO without excessive noise.

It seems like you've got a lot to learn before December, have fun pursuing your passion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back